1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Is it really the bike he acctually ran? No probably not, its probably a bike some guy built to look like it, and just had autographed. But I think if nothing else the stickers are a dead giveaway, they use different plastics on the race bikes dont they? (I'm not sure, I'm just assuming they would), would they really go around replacing the warning stickers on those bikes?

Maybe not a scam, but probably not what it seems.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
But doesn't it make you wonder about what happens to the real racebikes after the season has ended? I do know that some of them actually end up being sold to and raced by lesser privateer teams in the next season. But to private individuals?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Throttlestop said:
But doesn't it make you wonder about what happens to the real racebikes after the season has ended? I do know that some of them actually end up being sold to and raced by lesser privateer teams in the next season. But to private individuals?
They used to be in the Cyclenews classifieds all the time

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Well, he has the VIN # posted. You should research it if you have any doubt of the bikes validity. Personally, I can't say either way. But, if I were to throw down $10k on a 600cc race bike, I would definitly take the time to contact the seller before hand with my queries.

Unfortunately, there are suckers out there that wouldn't. And he could be banking on that. :(

·
Registered
403 Posts
It could be a backup bike. I know in superstock and supersport they can't use carbon fiber bodywork or aftermarket wheels. It's kind of hard to say but I'm leaning towards a backup bike. The fairing has the hole for the chassis stand on it...

·
Registered
590 Posts
The guy who owns that bike won it in a local contest and yes it really is Spies old bike. They just put a crappy exhaust on it and made a few other changes before they gave it away.
It was for sale for months in TJs here in Austin. It would make an incredibly clean track day bike for someone.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you have the money Im sure you can buy a factory bike. I friend of mine bough Jamie Hackings 2004 Graves R1. It was his B bike, but Jamie's bike none the less. Capt211 can comment further as he is a closer friend of this person.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, don't forget, this is a 600 SuperSport racebike in question. The teams are very limited in what mods they can do to a SuperSport machine.

So aside from the novelty value of saying you have Ben Spies bike, you can probably buy everything that is on there and for not that much money.

·
Registered
590 Posts
SPL170db said:
Well, don't forget, this is a 600 SuperSport racebike in question. The teams are very limited in what mods they can do to a SuperSport machine.

So aside from the novelty value of saying you have Ben Spies bike, you can probably buy everything that is on there and for not that much money.
The Factory prepped 600 Supersports make loads of power. They all slip in a little head clean up, they all go to the assembly line and pick out the 4 longest most balanced connecting rods w/ the lightest pistons, etc...

That is a very well set of Supersport bike. More than just a "stock 600."

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have never seem Ben Spies autograph for anyone who has does it look right?
there is a Number 1 in his autograph and his number is 11:scratch I'm no expert but that just doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
bri638 said:
I have never seem Ben Spies autograph for anyone who has does it look right?
there is a Number 1 in his autograph and his number is 11:scratch I'm no expert but that just doesn't look right.
I believe he won the supersport title that year and was probably at that point signing #1,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.