Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Soo, my first question is which spark plug wire on the rear coil goes to which spark plug? Currently I have the top wire going to cylinder #1 and the bottom one going to cylinder #4 simply because that is the only configuration that the wire lengths will allow for. If anyone could give me some guidance it would be much appreciated!
you are correct the rear serves the cylinder 1&4 and the front is for cylinder 2&3.
you may want to check the solenoid once, try by shorting it with a screw driver to see if it cranks and then the coils if you are not getting spark (refer the attached screenshot for the same)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the advice twinhead! So I checked the coils as per the manual's specifications and they are both within spec. I also checked the compression in all of the cylinders (despite the fact that I literally have brand new pistons and rings) and cylinders 1-3 check out at 150psi, however, cylinder 4 only had 130psi. I'm fairly certain this means one of the valves in that cylinder has a slight leak, but looking at the manual it doesn't say that should be a problem (see picture). So at this point I honestly can't think of what the problem would be. She definitely sounds like she wants to start, but the only thing I ever get is a reassuring fireball out of the tailpipe every once in a while. If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated, for now I'm just :banghead

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
**UPDATE**

So I realize that this project is taking even longer than I anticipated and I'm not really sure if anyone is still following this build anymore, but I've finally made some progress. I sprayed a little ether into each of the carbs and it fired right up! (video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTIe-EHgRsi/?taken-by=polka_dick) As you can tell from the video it's not getting enough fuel noted by the fact that as soon as it burns all the ether it dies. Unfortunately when I finally got it to start I discovered another problem, the oil pressure was so high that it blow the seal off of four different oil filters. :gaah After talking to a few people I found out that there is an oil pressure sensor and an oil pressure valve in these bikes that regulates the oil pressure. I bough one of each of them thinking it was a worthy investment on a bike that's 24 years old with 24,000 miles on the engine before it lost cylinder #3. When I went to replace them I quickly realized that the wire that goes to the oil pressure sensor was conveniently missing. :facepalm (picture below) Not only that but four of the oil pan bolts didn't match and the main bolt in the middle was missing. :grrr So my question is whether anyone out there knows were that wire is supposed to be routed because I can't fine a wiring diagram for this bike the my owners manual. Thanks! :cheers

Attachments

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
F.Y.I...that missing wire should be to trigger a light on the dash.
You can keep the bike running with No carbs at all via a spray bottle and some gasoline.
Consider it a crude form of fuel ingestion (see what I did there!) but it works.
I have run many a Gsxr with no carbs at all via this method.
Once the bike fires, simply spray each cylinder in succession and it will stay running as long as you are pumping fuel.
A tad bit dangerous but no more so than the super low flash point of oh-so volatile starting fluid and a lot better for the motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
F.Y.I...that missing wire should be to trigger a light on the dash.
You can keep the bike running with No carbs at all via a spray bottle and some gasoline.
Consider it a crude form of fuel ingestion (see what I did there!) but it works.
I have run many a Gsxr with no carbs at all via this method.
Once the bike fires, simply spray each cylinder in succession and it will stay running as long as you are pumping fuel.
A tad bit dangerous but no more so than the super low flash point of oh-so volatile starting fluid and a lot better for the motor.
Ok, so I have a manual for the '92 model that has a wiring diagram and it was telling me to wire it to that light, but I wasn't really sure if that made sense or not so thank you for clearing that up SRADIATOR! So I'm guessing the oil pressure valve is what regulates the oil pressure by opening when the operating pressure is reached right? I'm hoping that replacing it will fix the problem of the oil filter seal exploding every time the bike starts.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
PS...While it has been e-ons since I've had to drop an oil pan, that kind of dirt accumulation can't be healthy for a motor!
With that much dirt in the pan some had to find it's way to bearing and journal surfaces as well as cylinder bores so I'm wondering about the state of said motor!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
**UPDATE**
It's been a very long time since I have posted on this thread, but I have finally got the bike to start up and run! The only problem is that it only wants to idle at about 7K rpms. :wtf I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue before, or has any advice. I suspect that it involves something with the idle jets, but it's definitely a head scratcher. Check the video below to hear it run!

:cheers

·
Juvenile Thinker
279 Posts
Based on the pics of the engine in its initial condition, dirty valves in a cleaned up head, and no mention of checking the bottom end and the pics of the oil pan it would be safe to say that if the inside of your motor looked like that, the carbs probably look worse. IIWM a full teardown of the carb bank would be in progress. There is a sticky on here that shows it start to finish in pictures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks thanks for the advice Bufftester! Unfortunately the these carbs are the same ones that Bad_T cleaned in that sticky, and they have been torn down and cleaned multiple times just to get it to it's current state. I suspect that it's an adjustment issue of some sort, but I'm not sure what adjustment needs to be made...

:cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your idling issue has been talked about before in a couple of threads but can be attributed to the oval-ing of the needle jets by the jet needles over time. This causes excess fuel to enter the cct and will provide an over rich fuel/air mixture which floods the engine. Once the mains come into effect, the mixture has a lot more air and will work properly.

Solution, replace both the needle jet and jet needle on all four carbies. these should still be available from you local Suzuki dealer. Replacing these will also give you the opportunity to give those peskie little carbies a bit of a clean too.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Your idling issue has been talked about before in a couple of threads but can be attributed to the oval-ing of the needle jets by the jet needles over time. This causes excess fuel to enter the cct and will provide an over rich fuel/air mixture which floods the engine. Once the mains come into effect, the mixture has a lot more air and will work properly.

Solution, replace both the needle jet and jet needle on all four carbies. these should still be available from you local Suzuki dealer. Replacing these will also give you the opportunity to give those peskie little carbies a bit of a clean too.

Best of luck.
Thanks jaffa565! Any chance you can post the link to one of those threads?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
12 Participants
Polka_Dick
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing