Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In August it "launched" off the road at ~100mph... destroying the bodywork and the subframe. I'm better now... I picked up a clean title frame/swing arm a couple of weeks ago for $200.

So what am I going to do? Rebuild it as time and money allow, but it needs...

-getting the new frame powder coated
-mounting an 1100 banana swing arm
-getting the seat recovered...for the second time
-deciding what color/graphics to paint the new bodywork
-new speedo/tach...any alternatives to stock? besides Sigma?

Maybe I'll be done before SuzukiLTD gets on the road...

·
Banned
982 Posts
blah blah blah

[ 01-26-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Ditto on the coating! FastCat's looks sweet - an excellent use for that method, besides just doing pipes.

Simon, I had mine powdercoated, I like the look, but have NO idea how much screwing around I'll have to do with touchup. Not into polishing, so that was the logical choice - until I saw FC coated one (too late for me...grrrr).

·
Banned
982 Posts
I used http://www.jet-hot.com/ For My Headers & Mid,and They Cermachromed inside and Out!Most Companies Dont.....
The engine stay nice and alert all day,without getting sluggish!

Not a very good picture of the exhaust but,You can get an Idea!$125 for Mid & Header!

Joey, keep your posts like this and everyone will be happier

[ 01-26-2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd forgotten about the ceramic option. Thanks for reminding me. If I can't find it locally I'll be happy to get it done right in WA.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I can see why Troy was happy to reccomend Brad at performancecoatings... they did an awesome job for me, and he did coat inside & out on the pipe:

...it was a used, nickel-plated mild-steel system though, and I had some issues with corrosion "bleed-through" on the thing... I took it back in, and Brad was more than happy to honor the "no corrosion warranty". They did a re-blast and re-coat free-of-charge. I've had no issues with the coating on the swingarm at all.

I dunno much about the technical end of the ceramics-coating biz, but I do know how I like to be treated as a customer, and Brad took very good care of me. Thanks Troy for the tip!

·
Banned
982 Posts
Thats always A Plus Not To Half Step but,Maybe This Guy is sending it to Jet Hot!?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyPsychos.com:
Thats always A Plus Not To Half Step but,Maybe This Guy is sending it to Jet Hot!?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well Joey, I can't say that I watched him do the work... but I can tell ya that I dropped my pipes off at 4pm on a Monday Afternoon, and picked `em up on Friday morning... and they charged me less than what jet-hot charged you.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
After seeing FastCat's swingarm I'd think about going ceramic. Looks better than the stock anodizing and takes no repeated maintance like polishing. www.hpcoatings.com has some nice other coatings as well Some look like candy paints.
Bones

·
Banned
982 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by JoeyPsychos.com:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well Joey, I can't say that I watched him do the work... but I can tell ya that I dropped my pipes off at 4pm on a Monday Afternoon, and picked `em up on Friday morning... and they charged me less than what jet-hot charged you.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">wow!

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
Simon, after you get the bike back together you might try signing up for a good riders school like California Superbike School...... they teach you how to deal with things like Target fixating, learning to use your brakes to their potential etc etc etc......

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyPsychos.com:
I used http://www.jet-hot.com/ For My Headers & Mid,and They Cermachromed inside and Out!Most Companies Dont.....
The engine stay nice and alert all day,without getting sluggish!

Not a very good picture of the exhaust but,You can get an Idea!$125 for Mid & Header!

Joey, keep your posts like this and everyone will be happier
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joey, come with a good close up of that exhaust! I'm trying to see if it shines like the rest of that motor
Sweeet!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Simon, there is a mailing tube coming to you in the mail. The part inside is for a early GSXR like yours and real light. Bet you can't guess what it is! I found it in the garage in one of those many boxes of spare parts.
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Simon, there is a mailing tube coming to you in the mail. The part inside is for a early GSXR like yours and real light. Bet you can't guess what it is! I found it in the garage in one of those many boxes of spare parts.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It fits in a mailing tube??
Hmmm, can anyone else guess what it is? I'm stumped.

As for Riding schools...a good place to start assuming I get back on the bike after I rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Maybe an old Yosh end can? Carbon clip-ons? Drilled rear brake stay? Ti con rods? Set of Wiseco pistons? Troy341

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by 341:
Maybe an old Yosh end can? Carbon clip-ons? Drilled rear brake stay? Ti con rods? Set of Wiseco pistons? Troy341
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Knowing Bones' affinity for magnesium, yosh, and unobtanium, it's gotta be good, whatever it is...

personally, I'd be keeping my fingers crossed for a VISA card... light, fits in mailing-tube, and lord knows I've wasted plenty of `em on my old air-oil GSXR LOL

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by FastCat:
Knowing Bones' affinity for magnesium, yosh, and unobtanium, it's gotta be good, whatever it is...

personally, I'd be keeping my fingers crossed for a VISA card... light, fits in mailing-tube, and lord knows I've wasted plenty of `em on my old air-oil GSXR LOL
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just like a female
I'd run up a card to its limit in nothing flat.

Ohhh...I know, It's authentic ARTIC AIR for me to run in my tires...keeps 'em from over heating in the summer time

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
Simon it could be some real Artic snow to soften your landing next time. Ha ha

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Simon
Went to send that tube today and I had lost your address. Send me a PM with it please.
Bones

1 - 20 of 20 Posts