Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
An Adult African Grey has the mental capacity of a seven to nine year old. If I knew how, I would post an old video of where a Grey can differentiate colors...tell the difference between cars and trucks and choose square, triangular and rectangular shapes. And then, separate them by color. Awesome creatures. No doubt what you saw was real.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Real? I'd say yes and no. I highly doubt that you can carry a conversation with this bird (I'd say that you DEFINITELY can't, but I'm no expert). I do know that these birds can learn by repitition to give certain responses. So what we saw there was a highly trained bird that might know 100 responses at most.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Actually it is real. African Greys are the smartest birds in the world. The bird you are thinking of that is able to differentiate between different shapes and colors is kept at the University of Arizona. I watched a NOVA documentary about it. That bird is also able to do simple math like addition and subtraction, has a vocabulary of over 400 words, and will actually let the researchers know when it wants a break.

An example of the types of questions it can answer:

The researcher will present the bird with a tray with numerous objects of different colors shapes and materials, such as colored cotton balls, colored wooden blocks (triangles, squares ect..). The researcher will then ask the bird a question like "how many red squares" and the parrot will actually speak the answer (three, four ect...). The researcher would also hold up different objects and the parrot would be able to name them.

Blew my mind.

·
Drama Queen that Loves Baby Battered covered Twat-
3,705 Posts
That was great ! I would love to have a talking bird , but he would prob just swear and talk shit !
Fuck that, Already got the girlfriend always talking my ears off, the last thing I need is the fucking pet doing the same thing...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was great ! I would love to have a talking bird , but he would prob just swear and talk shit !
Fuck that, Already got the girlfriend always talking my ears off, the last thing I need is the fucking pet doing the same thing...
Yea but at least you can smack the bird around and not get in any trouble.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts