Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a kick ass weekend at Pikes! The fastest time on the track came yesterday during Superbike qualifying, with Mladin clocking a 54.4 (record is 53.7). Bostrom was a mere tenth of a second behind, which meant only one thing - Sunday was going to be a battle!

My perspective was from race control, as I was required to sit with AMA and PPIR control and operate the races and crews. Being able to see the entire track at once and get up to the second live information really improved it for me I think. I'm used to being on a radio and always knowing what's happening on my tracks during a race event, but the AMA has some sweet toys! Live laptime feeds, video monitors that graphically plot the location of every rider on the track ... Oh the things we'd like in club racing.

Hacking, Yates, and Tommy Hayden were GOING AT IT for Superstock! Forget the rest of the track, the race was between these two for first place. Hacking eventually took a well deserved first place after no-holds-barred racing for 29 laps.

Superbike blew us all away - The race was on between 32 Bostrom, and 20 Yates. Mladin held for 3rd place for a while, but pitted for tires and lost the podium. Duhamel had a very nice 2nd place lead until he was meatballed for a jumped start. Back to the top two ... Bostrom is used to winning at Pikes. I mean, a lot. So it wasn't surprising that he had a quite comfortable lead for the first 2/3 of the race. What did surprise us, was when he blew a line and let Yates by into the lead. However, Superbike is a 48 lap race, and a lot of things can happen. In the LAST LAP, coming into turn 4 Yates got a little squirrely and Bostrom regained the lead. I could hear the announcers and TV reporters screaming through the glass walls of race control - hell, I was on my feet yelling! Bostrom handed Yates' ass to him on a red Ducati and took the win in what was one of the best finishes I have ever seen! The end of that race made the entire weekend worthwhile.

And yes, tampons... If you don't know, PPIR has issues with water seepage - the stuff just comes up out of the pavement every afternoon. The last turn literally swims in the stuff. It has been a constant battle there, however the chief fire guy had a flashback to a TV commercial, where a woman used a tampon to save a sinking boat. Somehow (probably after a beer or two) this translated to saving a sinking track. By this morning, 25 holes had been drilled in the turn. In between each session, a small army of fire crews arrived to pull, stuff, and plug the track with a fresh supply of tampons. They even left the strings sticking out, which made for a lot of great radio chatter. And you can believe we are never letting them live this one down...

Great weekend, and now I am going to bed since I've been at the track at 6:30am for the last 3 days.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
sounds like fun.. i don't know about Bostrom handing Yates' ass to him though..
Agreed...as Yates was AHEAD of E.B. at one time, but Yates got a tad squirrley in a turn and EB went by him...

Jake Z...now there's a rider that's a absolut blast to watch...smokin the rear, gettin sideways...

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, and EB was ahead of Yates for most of the race... Speed don't mean shit if you can't control the bike and keep your position.

Superstock had a lot more dicing for the podium though, that one was back and forth for a while.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeah the stupidbike race was pretty awesome. Jake and Mladin lighting up the rear for what seemed like an eon was incredible. I thought Yates had it for EBoz, but EBoz made a great pass and made it stick. seems the torquey Duc is better suited for the uber HP zookie there at Pikes. but oh well Suzuki is stil RULING SUPERBIKE with an iron fist

that track seems SO bumpy, why don't they repave the place......

and water coming up out of it? wtf......

tampons = fucking hilarious

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that track seems SO bumpy, why don't they repave the place......
?? It isn't that bad. There is one bump in T2, but you're riding over a tunnel so what do you expect. It used to be a cliff, now it's just kind of a "wheeee" thing. Some patches in 4, but as long as your suspension is reasonably correct the bike will soak them up. It really isn't bad at all. Now, if you want to see a bumpy piece of shit, come on out here and I will show you a couple of the other tracks we have to race at.

and water coming up out of it? wtf......
PPIR used to be a horse track before someone bought it and paved it. Apparently a lake used to be where the infield now sits, and the basin of the place seems to be right at the water table. Almost like clockwork at 3pm, with a bit of heating, the water literally bubbles up in the last turn. We mitigated it during the MRA weekend by using some channels cut with concrete saws to drain it, and this weekend one of the fire guys came up with the idea of soaking it up from within ... but how? It's funny as hell watching an almost 7-foot guy built like a tank have an epiphany abut tampons. His EMT is a woman and made a very good technical advisor on the subject as well, especially when she said "make sure you get the right size", and a bunch of firefighters and track officials got wide-eyed and asked "they come in different sizes?!". Some guy thought he was having a good day, getting to go into town on a shopping trip, until they told him what he was gonna be buying...

tampons = fucking hilarious
You think that's good, some of the cornerworkers got into the "supplies" Saturday night and coated several of them in ketchup for effect.
At least the fire guys were cool about it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts