Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to put on an auto-tuner with a minimum of cost and hassle. I have a 2011 GSX-R750. Here's the thought...get a Power Commander V and auto-tuner. Keep the stock headers and exhaust can. Cut out the CAT and install an aftermarket mid-pipe. Before installing the mid-pipe, have the 18 mm bung welded onto that as close to the front of the mid-pipe as possible. This way I don't have to pull the headers to have the bung put on. Taking out the CAT increases flow as well or better than an aftermarket can and I save $400 there. Then I can disable the SET valve (yank the brown wire with black stripe). Well??

$80 mid-pipe with free shipping at rampantrider dot com

Paul

P.S. How do I change my user name? It says I don't have rights. Is that because I didn't pay?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
You're not going to gain much power, because the cat is not that restrictive. Most of the gains are from the sizing and design of the header. Also, auto-tuners don't do a good job for power. My Bazzaz's auto tune program made about 4-5rwhp less than an actual tuner, and it felt like shit in comparison. Unless you don't have a tuner around, just get it dyno tuned.

·
3,860 Posts
I thought auto tuners were OK if you're doing actual track duty?
They're definitely okay, but my experience with them and the dyno results showed that it was a waste of money if you have a local tuner. We even did commanded AFR runs on the dyno to fill in any cells I hadn't hit on the streets, then went in to change it manually based on the AFR for the dyno. I attached the difference between the Bazzaz and an actual tune. You can see that it gained power at pretty much every single point, and by a fairly significant amount.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I successfully disabled my SET valve WITHOUT cutting the wire! I'll take it out today after the roads dry out and check for deceleration popping.

Update: No popping. Noticed a slight bump in power and volume.

·
3,860 Posts
You didn't notice any bump in power, because there is none. In fact, the biggest thing you noticed is the lower torque from the decreased backpressure at lower RPM.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,717 Posts
"Keep the stock headers and exhaust can. Cut out the CAT and install an aftermarket mid-pipe."

Are you sure you can find a midpipe that matches the OEM cut headers and muffler, and has the correct length?

"So why do we disable it?"

Most often because you're converting to an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't use it. It's also unwanted clutter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts