Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellas, my question is this: I have found a guy who will sell me his Vortex aluminum sprockets both the front and rear (to do my 520 conversion) for $50 bucks, they have only two races on them and look perfect. Is the aluminum strong enough for my bike, or will I be sorry? And is $50 a good price for both? Also, I want to go up 2 teeth in the back but I'm not to sure about the front, I will either stay stock or go down 1 whats the best set up? Thanks, RADSRAD

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I never buy used chain or sprockets.. It isnt worth it to me...

You will never find a alum front sprocket BTW... They are all steel... I would do this...

Renthal UltraLight front (stock teeth) in a 520
AFAM rear +3 teeth and in a 520.

But that is just me.

John

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I've been running a Vortex rear for a while - it looks unused after 5,000 miles, so I do not doubt the quality.

I too would not buy used....

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Maybe I will give Vortec a try next..

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to agree that chains & sprockets are on my list of "do not buy used", but if upon inspection the teeth and faces look good and you personally know & trust the previous owner then maybe it's worth it for you!? In regards to ratio, I'd POSITIVELY stay stock in the front, and shorten up the gearing by adding 2/3 teeth in the rear. I'm at two, and can't wipe the grin off my face! Still has a top-end (165mph, even though it reads 187), but feels like it picked up considerable bottom-end/mid-range torque. I'm running Sunstar steels, but have had great experiences w/AFAM. As for the Vortex, everyone loves them but I've never ran them. Ironically, just last Wednesday at a local HOOTER's motorcycle night
I did run in to someone who's 900RR chewed 5 teeth off one of their rears while clutching second!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Normaly the teeth will break off if the chain is all streched out... That will make them break.. Of if the sprocket is really old...

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
I definitely wasn't Vortex bashing. I don't even know how old the parts were, but thought it was worth mentioning.

[ 01-13-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Melampus... ]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooo...
Vortex + good quality

Buying used - Bad idea

= RADSRAD must buy new!
The Gixxer gods have spoken. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, sorry for the stupid questions but for the 520 conversion do you just replace sprockets and chain. What are the chain guides I've heard about? Do they have to be changed or?? Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
If they're worn, and not replaced that chain will eat through your aluminum swingarm like a chainsaw!

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
heres the hot tip...i just installed a sprocket i got from sprocket specialty..its called a "stealth"..its aluminum inside with a steel outer(teeth)(titanium rivits)
..my aluminum rear sprocket went maybe 3-400 miles this new sprocket is said to last 3 times longer..looks cOOl too..the one thing is if you use this sprocket in a 520 set up, youll need to use washers causr the sprocket is counter bored for the nuts, and the sprocket is thin anyway, so washers will be required..

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
i went thru a vortex rear sprocket quick...

never buy em used, they aren't that expensive anyways, the possible wreck from a broken chain is far worse than buying new chain/sprockets

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you talking about the chain guides melampus? If they are worn? How can one check thier condition? RADSRAD

·
Registered
900 Posts
Look at them. They are the plastic on the top and bottom side of the swingarm where the chain sometimes rubs if it gets too loose and/or whips. When getting a deep groove in them go to the shop and get some more. You will be able to tell easily be just eyeballing if the protection is low.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by RADSRAD:
you talking about the chain guides melampus? If they are worn? How can one check thier condition? RADSRAD
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I was talking about the chain-guard, and yes STARTER98 got the ticket. Just look at it, and you can clearly see if a new guard is necessary! Have fun!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Word up! I know exactly what the chain guides are now, I looked yesterday and saw them and thought that might be them. Now, even if they are in good shape will I need different sized ones for the 520 conversion? Oh and that "stealth" sounds pretty sweet, I'll look into that, thanks for the tip bro
RADSRAD over and out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts