Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father in law doesn't believe in having a gun that can't be/doesn't get used. On that note...he has a Colt Army Special 38 that we used when we went shooting. I was shocked as he'll that he even attempted it. Because of its age..i was a little skeptical that it wouldn't hold up to today's loads.

Needless to say...it didn't. And as per how every other situation like this that I've been involved in..it was in my hand when it happened...hence became my fault.

I have to get a picture of it..but the "insert/spacer" (where the front of the cylinder meets the back of the barrel) blew out to the right side on the 2nd reload. He says he heard of a gunsmith in California that can mill the piece it and repair it as if nothing happened. Only way someone would know any different would be if they took it all apart.

My question is..does anyone know of a place that i can get the barrel and possibly other parts for it? MUST be 6" barrel not 4 or 5... Patent dates are 1884.. 1885 (i think).. and 1900.

Here's a Google pic of what the barrel says:

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Damn, that's a shame
By your opening statement, it at least sounds like your father in law was the one who wanted to go shooting. Did he buy his own ammo?

Got any pics of the damage and the rest of the gun? It's very unfortunate but still, it's not every day you see a piece like that.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, that's a shame
By your opening statement, it at least sounds like your father in law was the one who wanted to go shooting. Did he buy his own ammo?

Got any pics of the damage and the rest of the gun? It's very unfortunate but still, it's not every day you see a piece like that.
Yeah he didn't even hesitate to load it up. "What good is owning a gun if u can't use it?". But i felt like shit that it happened in MY hand. He used some if my uncle's ammo..along with some reloads that my uncle does. It could've been either a hot load..the cylinder not lined up completely...or a combination of the 2.

I have to get to his house and get a few pictures of it. Hopefully this weekend. I've found a few whole guns in a search..but they're going for around 700-1100. Most of which are the wrong barrel length tho.

·
16,990 Posts
So my father in law doesn't believe in having a gun that can't be/doesn't get used. On that note...he has a Colt Army Special 38 that we used when we went shooting. I was shocked as he'll that he even attempted it. Because of its age..i was a little skeptical that it wouldn't hold up to today's loads.

Needless to say...it didn't. And as per how every other situation like this that I've been involved in..it was in my hand when it happened...hence became my fault.

I have to get a picture of it..but the "insert/spacer" (where the front of the cylinder meets the back of the barrel) blew out to the right side on the 2nd reload. He says he heard of a gunsmith in California that can mill the piece it and repair it as if nothing happened. Only way someone would know any different would be if they took it all apart.

My question is..does anyone know of a place that i can get the barrel and possibly other parts for it? MUST be 6" barrel not 4 or 5... Patent dates are 1884.. 1885 (i think).. and 1900.

Here's a Google pic of what the barrel says:

Contact a licensed Colt armorer.
Unfortunately, repairing it to "firing capable" condition will prolly cost more than the guns worth..

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick question.
Are the patent dates inscribed on the frame below the cylinder?
Only place i saw patent dates are on the top of the barrel

I didn't see anything on the frame other than the serial number..and a horse stamped just above the grip as such below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my F.I.L. to get me some pics of the dates..damage..and serial numbers and send em to me. Hopefully he does it today. He's old n forgetful lol

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the links!
I looked at Numrich. They list 1 marked Army Special...however its nickel. And sold out. That's been the best lead yet tho..thank u.

I'll see if i can get a chance to contact Colt. Might not be till after the holidays so there's not so much running around to do.

I'm going to have to get the pics of the damage myself apparently because I've asked 4 times this week and got nothing but a "sure..I'll take it after lunch". Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
nemesis119
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing