Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored last night so I decided to go out for a midnight run to manhatten. On my way back on the GCP east around the Union Turnpike exit I was coming around on a turn at about 110mph (maybe more) on the left lane and hit a bad patch of uneven and/or cracked pavement. The front wheel started its impression of the Harlem shake quite wildly. I had to quickly straighten the bike up and eased off the throttle to get control back, by than i had already crossed the middle lane and into the right. The bike stabalized and I was able to complete my turn with a heart rate of at least 215 bpm. Some scary shh.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad you didn't go down... Thats one reason I don't ride in the city, they don't take care of the streets and highways there. The traffic is a pain also. I ride the Sprainbrook,Taconic and Bronx River Pkwys. along with some back roads towards upstate NY. Rt 9 is good also... Be careful out there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was bored last night so I decided to go out for a midnight run to manhatten. On my way back on the GCP east around the Union Turnpike exit I was coming around on a turn at about 110mph (maybe more) on the left lane and hit a bad patch of uneven and/or cracked pavement. The front wheel started its impression of the Harlem shake quite wildly. I had to quickly straighten the bike up and eased off the throttle to get control back, by than i had already crossed the middle lane and into the right. The bike stabalized and I was able to complete my turn with a heart rate of at least 215 bpm. Some scary shh.
You're talking about the turn between the clearview and union turnpike exits? I know it well(I actually live right off the union turnpike exit). They're fun to take at a good speed. Too bad you gotta watch out for the 105 highway patrol. Anyways, good save.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys and to all of you, ride safe as well. The roads and highways in the city really do suck. Funny we have some of the highest taxes but the worst city services in the country. Another thing on the GCP west is the 105 highway patrol dummy car. Lately they have a patrol car parked on the side (very visible even at night) but no officer in it. Guess its just to scare people into slowing down. Anyways, I will probably be back at it sometime this week or on the weekend providing the weather looks good. Anyone in the queens or NYC area want to meet up and go riding hit me with a PM. Peace.

·
Registered
814 Posts
in unrelated news... Shuki and his gixxer will be making the move to Queens or just over into Jersey in the coming weeks...

·
420 King of the World
3,440 Posts
You should be posting this in the NorthEast sect really. More people understand the problems we have. Anyhoo glad you're not hurt. Be safe.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know that bad headshake is scary, and good on you for not losing it!
In most cases, you can ride right through the worst headshakes. On the gixxer especially, its chassis soaks up bumps really well. Without the steering damper it would shake alot longer, but not any worse.

I could rip over bad roads on my Ninja 500, and it would shake for a while... The trick is to NOT try and stop it shaking. Stay loose on the bars (so the headshake doesent transmit through you to the chassis) and let the front end 'work'. Headshake is a neccicary self correcting phenominom. All bikes do it, some more than others. Its what happens when the tire, and your suspension get overloaded in a turn... the next thing to give way is the wheel to the side!

Dont go and try to ride that same rippled stretch again like that, at least untill your good at heandling headshake (cmon, im not gonna tell you to go 65) but you can if you need to, just stay loose!

Ride safe!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts