Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder to all to never push it when you don't know what lies ahead...

I almost bit the dust today. I was up at Bear Mountain riding. (It's about 50 miles from NYC and has some awesome riding roads.) Of course, there were tons of people riding. Since I didn't know the area (it was my first time up there), I ended up following the "Road Rash Crew" around for a bit. At one point, I ended up in the middle of their pack. The front man went to pass a truck (this is all single-lane riding) and everyone followed. Little did I know that right past the truck was a MAJOR change of direction! I was completely shocked to find myself at about 60MPH approaching a turn that I was on the completely wrong side of the set-up for! And, unfortunately, I did panic a bit and ended up focusing on the trees I was about to hit for a millisecond. But, I leaned hard and pushed hard, and I made it around. If that turn had an increasing radius I absolutely would have run out of road! I was at the VERY edge of pavement on a turn that was probably 70 degrees, going too fast, with a totally improper set-up! VERY SCARY! I was very lucky today.

I learned a lesson today for sure! Never push it when you don't know what lies ahead!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Isn't it refreshing to learn a lesson 'the easy way'
Glad to hear you are ok. I find that I always have to remind myself of a simple rule on roads I've never ridden- don't ride at anything above 50% of my ability. There are lots of surprises that you can't know about the first time you take a new route.

The Road Rash crew?
You should've know...
lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I llive about 20 minutes away from there and I know that road very well. I have almost bit it on my Bike and my car. The road is so appealing to cars and bikes alike. I have seen all types of accidents on that road. But heh you know for next time.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
is that what they really call their crew? if so, you shouldn't have been following them anyway. good job saving the turn though...

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Glad to hear that you did the right thing and saved it. I was up in that area on Sunday too. Which road were you on? THere's just too much traffic to be hauling ass up there on a sunday afternoon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!

On the Road Rash Crew, yes, that's their name. I learned this as I saw it on all of their bikes when we came to a stop. The only reason I followed them was because I had no idea where to go to find the best roads. I broke off from them right after "the incident." I definitely needed a breather!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went earlier in the morning. There wasn't a ton of traffic when I went, but by the time I left (late morning) the cages were arriving in force. I don't know what road it was. It wasn't one of the main ones. like Seven Lakes Rd., but a side road with some really great twisties. I'll definitely go back. But, want to learn those roads well!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback!

On the Road Rash Crew, yes, that's their name. I learned this as I saw it on all of their bikes when we came to a stop. The only reason I followed them was because I had no idea where to go to find the best roads. I broke off from them right after "the incident." I definitely needed a breather!
id bet they turned off before you hurt someone....you just thought you left them!
thats what happens when you try to hang w/ some ppl you never rode with....a guy in our group will wreck you every time you try to follow him....just because you can't keep up w/ him...if you tried to follow him, and was less than a "road racer" you'll run off road every time....he amases me how good he can ride, and reminds me how good im not, just when i think im pushing myself...he walks off and leaves me!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really wasn't a matter of who the better rider was. It was completely my error in going at a pace too fast for unfamiliar roads. I never feel pressured to "keep up." And, always try to ride within my (fairly capable) abilities. I was actually moving at a quicker pace than they were; having to back off myself when I was tailing them at first. The shock of that turn is what got me. They clearly knew it was coming, so were prepared.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts