Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I live in fort walton beach fl, i went out riding tonight, towards destin and theres a 4 mile road next to the beach and there are no lights, beach n both sides of you, anywayz, i was heading out that way and it was real windy like moving me around the road windy, so the sped limit is 55 and i was going about 52 when all of a sudden i see about 10 ft of SAND and i was like OH SHIT!!!! I have only been riding for 2 weeks with 600 miles on my bike, so i hit the sand and i start wobbling like it wants to go everywhere, im freakin the f%$^ out and i finallyget through it and i turned my ass right back around and drove 35 all the way home, this just happened like 15 min ago, thought i would share, i was wearing my gear thank god if i would have went down. Later guys

Jon

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sand sucks ass I have to deal with it out here in the desert. It's even more dangerous when it's spread out all over the road in a very thin coat so that you can't get traction for shit!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Just dont brake in the sand, no extra throttle, keep the wheel straight and keep going. No heavy turns, you will be alright.

Scott

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
Just dont brake in the sand, no extra throttle, keep the wheel straight and keep going. No heavy turns, you will be alright.

Scott
Rear brake ONLY in sand/grass/gravel trap ect...

nj

·
Registered
9,633 Posts

Scott

nj
+1

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Scott

nj
Not necessarily in this case. He said his speed was ~50mph when he encountered the sand. I wouldn't want to get on the rear brake, lock it and likely send the rear swinging around at that speed. At a slower pace or on a track where you've gone off into pea gravel YES... but in his situation and seemingly being a new rider.. NO!

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Sounds like he did a good enough job, he stayed up. No extra inputs, just coast and ride it out. Sand like that is really a bastard when I'm cycling. Tires that are less than half an inch wide really don't take that sand well. I crashed in a race once because of sand like that, at least I landed in more soft sand so I could get up and get back in it.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Sand sucks ass!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts