Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally scanned some pics from my unfortunate aquaintence with the boulders at Summit.

The back protector:

The damage:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheap back protectors will do that - of course, think what it would look like had you forgot to wear it...
I don't particularly consider the Teknic to be a cheap back protector. It isn't in the league with some of the bigger names but it is reputable. What I consider to be of paramount importance is the inclusion of hard plastic exoskeleton since that is what was responsible for spreading the force of the impact out over a larger area. I've looked at some of the kevlar protectors and I have issues with them since in my particular crash they would have let the point of the boulder break a few ribs and psooibly collapse a lung (niether one of which are good since I have had that happen in the past). I didn't take any pics of it but the whole left side of my back turned into one large bruise that was roughly deliniated along the lines of the plastic shell so I assume that it did its job well. I realize that my crash was a freak and you very rarely wind up doing a swan dive onto your back on some boulders but for me I'll stick with a hard shell on my back protector.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
i have that same teknic, glad to see it can take a beating and at least you came out on the plus side, instead of having broken ribs and a messed up spine

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Cheap back protectors will do that - of course, think what it would look like had you forgot to wear it...
I don't particularly consider the Teknic to be a cheap back protector. It isn't in the league with some of the bigger names but it is reputable. What I consider to be of paramount importance is the inclusion of hard plastic exoskeleton since that is what was responsible for spreading the force of the impact out over a larger area. I've looked at some of the kevlar protectors and I have issues with them since in my particular crash they would have let the point of the boulder break a few ribs and psooibly collapse a lung (niether one of which are good since I have had that happen in the past). I didn't take any pics of it but the whole left side of my back turned into one large bruise that was roughly deliniated along the lines of the plastic shell so I assume that it did its job well. I realize that my crash was a freak and you very rarely wind up doing a swan dive onto your back on some boulders but for me I'll stick with a hard shell on my back protector.
Look, calling it like it is - It is a cheap back protector - exposed buttons like they use is a cheap alternative to the way Dianese or Spidi, etc. do their back protectors.

I'm with you on the hard shell plates - I have both the Spidi and the Dianese and I prefer my Dianese.

I never slammed you or anything - just that Teknic is, in fact a cheaper alternative and will protect (So would have a piece of memory foam), but a better back protector would have left bruising, but doubtful on the rash stuff...

Look, it did its job. Enough said, eh?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
that don't look so good...but it did it's job as stated...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look, calling it like it is - It is a cheap back protector - exposed buttons like they use is a cheap alternative to the way Dianese or Spidi, etc. do their back protectors.

I'm with you on the hard shell plates - I have both the Spidi and the Dianese and I prefer my Dianese.

I never slammed you or anything - just that Teknic is, in fact a cheaper alternative and will protect (So would have a piece of memory foam), but a better back protector would have left bruising, but doubtful on the rash stuff...

Cheap is a relative term since both Spidi & Dianese list back protectors on thier stre that cost less than the Teknic 7 plate. As to the ability to protect in a crash that is up to speculation since none of the protectors have been tested. While Spidi does indeed market a CE approved back protector in Europe thier US version is not CE approved even though Spidi says it is "compliant with" the standard they do not claim approval. Dianese makes no claims as to being CE approved that I could find. Teknic doesn't either. Without testing to certify that any one or the other functions anything else is just speculation and therefore worthless in a discussion of the facts.
I seriously doubt that a piece of memory foam would have done shit since the edge of the boulder came to a point and extended approximately 8" out of the ground. Nothing short of a hard shell would have protected against the impact.
If you are equating price with protection then the marketing boys at the manufacturers have done thier job well and should be pleased.
I do agree that the Dianese & Spidi appear to be competent back protectors but without any certification they are just as good as the next hard shell and nothing more. I didn't say you were slamming me and Iam not slamming you. That's what this forum is for so that we racers can discuss things and learn from other peoples experiences. It is your opinion and you are entitled to it but after all that is all it is, an opinion and not a fact.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

always runnin your mouth

Enough said , eh ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.