Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 412 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Chip,

I have an 01 1000 (stock internals) and was thinking of just stroking the crank 4mm and not doing any boring.

What kind of hp/torque gains could be had and is it worth it?

Would I need aftermarket rods?

thanks
I would consider doing the opposite....boring with no stroke, if you only wanted to go in on direction.

If you are going to stroke it, you have to spend the same money as if you were to bore and stroke it. Pistons have to be replaced and depending on the stroke, so does block machining. There are several disadvantages to stroking that have to be compinsated for, like side loading, frictional loss, and Piston speed. If you stroke it would deffinately have to use aftermarket rods and pistons......why not use bigger pistons?

I would suggest and 1143cc combo.....3mm bore, 4mm stroke....and around 205hp and 110ft-lbs of Torque........MotoGp power for the street...
The cost factor plays a big role too. I'd rather just turbo it than the bore/stroke idea which costs ..what 1.5-2X the amount.
That is a huge misconception.......that Turbos are cost less alternitive to building the engine. It's just not true. In order to have a turbo motor that is going to make any significant horsepower gain over stock and be expected to last any amount of time you would have to build the motor to take the added strain of the turbo.....plus the cost of the turbo.......You will spend more money in the end.
+1
You need a solid foundation to build a reliable turbo bike.
Chip,you going to the Pro-Star season opener in Georgia this March??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I HAVE AN 05 1000 I PUT ON A SLIP ON AND MY F1 LIGHT CAME ON IS THIS NORMAL AND IF SO IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET IT OFF SINCE NOW IM NOT GOING TO KNOW WHEN I HAVE A REAL PROMBLEM?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I HAVE AN 05 1000 I PUT ON A SLIP ON AND MY F1 LIGHT CAME ON IS THIS NORMAL AND IF SO IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET IT OFF SINCE NOW IM NOT GOING TO KNOW WHEN I HAVE A REAL PROMBLEM?
If I had to guess, I would say the FI light is on beacuse you moved the cables on the exhaust valve......Run the codes and see what it comes up with.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Chip,

I have an 01 1000 (stock internals) and was thinking of just stroking the crank 4mm and not doing any boring.

What kind of hp/torque gains could be had and is it worth it?

Would I need aftermarket rods?

thanks
I would consider doing the opposite....boring with no stroke, if you only wanted to go in on direction.

If you are going to stroke it, you have to spend the same money as if you were to bore and stroke it. Pistons have to be replaced and depending on the stroke, so does block machining. There are several disadvantages to stroking that have to be compinsated for, like side loading, frictional loss, and Piston speed. If you stroke it would deffinately have to use aftermarket rods and pistons......why not use bigger pistons?

I would suggest and 1143cc combo.....3mm bore, 4mm stroke....and around 205hp and 110ft-lbs of Torque........MotoGp power for the street...
The cost factor plays a big role too. I'd rather just turbo it than the bore/stroke idea which costs ..what 1.5-2X the amount.
That is a huge misconception.......that Turbos are cost less alternitive to building the engine. It's just not true. In order to have a turbo motor that is going to make any significant horsepower gain over stock and be expected to last any amount of time you would have to build the motor to take the added strain of the turbo.....plus the cost of the turbo.......You will spend more money in the end.
+1
You need a solid foundation to build a reliable turbo bike.
Chip,you going to the Pro-Star season opener in Georgia this March??
Doubt it.....I'll be in Daytona for 10 days doing AMA roadracing stuff......so my "at race track" time will be limited in March.

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts

How much are we talking with parts and labor?
How much are just the parts alone?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Russ,your talking about an easy $8,500-$10,000

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

How much are we talking with parts and labor?
How much are just the parts alone?
It all depends on what you already have done on the bike, if there is anything already wore out in the motor, how much power you want, how long you want it to last........

$8500 for full on 1143cc 205+ motor is a pretty good number....parts and labor....

For $10.5K we could go all the way to a 1204cc 220hp MONSTER!

If you are looking to do something cheaper there are alternitives....3mm over bores...SS Builds...etc....for as cheap as $2200.

If your really intrested give me a call after Christmas and I can go over all the details. I really would rather this thread be a question and answer thread.....not a sales pitch!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are high compression pistons stock bore and stroke a good way to go. With cams and head work or just a waste of time? That SS package sounds good. I got a engine I'm tryin to get built for dragracing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i read your 04/05 600 motor kinda answered my own question. can you go bigger than that and how much does a kit like that cost with labor

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Are high compression pistons stock bore and stroke a good way to go. With cams and head work or just a waste of time? That SS package sounds good. I got a engine I'm tryin to get built for dragracing.
SS package would make more hp.....than stock, but there are some other things you would want to do for drag racing.

If you are going to do after market pistons, I would suggest a going 3mm bigger.......almost the same price, but much more hp...

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i read your 04/05 600 motor kinda answered my own question. can you go bigger than that and how much does a kit like that cost with labor

If you wanted a big bore 600 motor.....then that motor for sale is going to be the best, cheapest alternitive......and no wait.....you send us your good motor, we ship you this one, pop it in and go kick everybodys ass.

If you want to go super big.....we are developing a package right now for a customers top speed bike that is HUGE........give me a call over the Holidays and I can give you the details......but I can tell you right now. It is not cheap.

·
Registered
572 Posts
2.) 00-03 750 and 01-02 1K heads are the same, all others are different. Stroker 750? Oh hell yeah. We have a 3mm crank in stock, combined with our 3mm pistons makes it a 866cc and you could expect around 165hp.....nasty....straight nasty! Still very streetable as well.

how much would a stroker 750 setup cost after its all said and done? and what other work is there involved other than the bore and stroke?

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
So when install web cams on my K3. I read to keep the stock head gasket so keep good clearence. Is that wise or do the taking the middle leaf out? I mean, bumping the compression .5 really worth anything?

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
Going on past experience, don't remove the leaf. I've seen too many leak doing this.
Its not the compression upping that will make the gains, its the tightening of the squish in this case.
Removing the centre leaf will make the head gasket 0.05mm thinner than a yoshi head gasket so you are more likely to have clearance issues this way as well as possible leakage.
You won't have clearance issue with these cams unless you are going past 20thou" off the head anyway so don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
Thanks Tim. Just confirms that I will leave the stock one on. So its safe to re-use the headgasket? I know on cars thats a no no.

Where would I get shims from? What sizes?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
2.) 00-03 750 and 01-02 1K heads are the same, all others are different. Stroker 750? Oh hell yeah. We have a 3mm crank in stock, combined with our 3mm pistons makes it a 866cc and you could expect around 165hp.....nasty....straight nasty! Still very streetable as well.

how much would a stroker 750 setup cost after its all said and done? and what other work is there involved other than the bore and stroke?
Like I said.....I don't want this thread to turn into a sales pitch thread.....Give me a call after the first of the year and I would be happy to quote you some prices.

843-552-7177

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Tim. Just confirms that I will leave the stock one on. So its safe to re-use the headgasket? I know on cars thats a no no.

Where would I get shims from? What sizes?
No re-use on the head gasket.......very bad!

Shims would be stock Suzuki shims......as for after market cams.....I would only use Yosh Stage one cams with stock pistons. Otherwise you will run into interferance problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
First I have to say that it is really awsome when professional engine builders like Tim and Chip offer
their help like this.And I hope you guys know how much guys like me appriciate it.I am just installing
A set of 05 cams in a 03 1000 and am wondering about cam #,s for drag racing.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
First I have to say that it is really awsome when professional engine builders like Tim and Chip offer
their help like this.And I hope you guys know how much guys like me appriciate it.I am just installing
A set of 05 cams in a 03 1000 and am wondering about cam #,s for drag racing.

Is everything else stock?

21 - 40 of 412 Posts
About this Discussion
411 Replies
163 Participants
Cdvl
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing