Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I painted my bike last weekend. 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear. It looked nice--not shiny, but nice. Today, I went into Kragen Auto Parts, and bought a two-stage rubbing compound combination. Both compounds are made by Turtlewax. The first is a "rubbing compound". The second is a polishing compound (cream) that is supposed to remove scratches. I wet sanded the fender until it was smooth and nice. Then I went over it lightly with the rubbing compound. I then polished the area with a terry cloth towel. I looked at the finish and it was very smooth. I shined a light on it and saw thousands of micro-scratches--sort of like swirl-scratches, except straight (as I was polishing back and forth). I then went to the polishing cream. Same problem, only the scratches were a little finer. I sat there for 40 minutes, trying different things. I wetsanded the scratches out, and tried just using the polishing cream, but still--thousands of micro-scratches. I tried using a different kind of rag, but to no avail. At this point, the fender looks smooth and fairly shiny. But it's scratched all to piss. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
they sell small wazx buffers you need to put the polish on and use the buffer. if you want it to look like a mirror in a lake use the wax buffers they use at paint shops

1 - 2 of 2 Posts