Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
What about Me??? We have about five members that I know of, and lots of Gixxers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right on! I'm at Fort Nelson B.C (Mile 300 of Alaska Hwy). I just got a brand new 03 ' Black and Gold 1000. I'll keep my eye out for ya if I head North!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You actually have a summer in Alaska? I thought you all lived in igloos there and had dog sleds to get around, and polar bears as pets?

Do you even have trees in Alaska? (maybe you do, but aren't they just covered in snow all the time?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
nutbar said:
You actually have a summer in Alaska? I thought you all lived in igloos there and had dog sleds to get around, and polar bears as pets?

Do you even have trees in Alaska? (maybe you do, but aren't they just covered in snow all the time?)
please be kidding.

posting as another gixxer in Alaska. (3 months till spring... grrr..)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I lived in Anchorage for four years... that place is a blast, until you get your motorcycle license anyways

·
Registered
129 Posts
Riding season would be from... early april till... early october. depending on how long winter decides to last. couple years ago we had 25 inches of snow here in town on march 27th.
as for the trees comment.
yes we do have trees. we have more square miles of forest than Texas does land.
shoot we could cut alaska in half and make texas the third largest state.

·
Registered
18 Posts
April to October??!! That's pretty good. Upstate and Western NY don't get that! It's usually april-may til sept.-oct. 3 years ago they had more accumlative snow then the snow caps!!!! That's a lot! I used to plow the highways for the NYSDOT, so believe me, they got snow. We would work 'round the clock for weeks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah... i'm still not quite sure how long it is exactly, this being my first winter actually paying attention.
but i know in past years we have had it snow the entire first week of may.
and by the end of september it's usually freezing. we'll see what it does this year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok. my first ride was today. roads are dry, for the most part, and some places are pure gravel. we had a couple days of fair riding weather that ended march 26 or so because of snow. but i think we are good to go from here on.

(i'll try to update this when i quit riding next fall as well)

·
Registered
29 Posts
All kidding aside, how is the riding up there when the climate permits it?

Roads, motorists, police, track days/racing, dealer support, etc.

From a fellow "non Continental" gixxer!
Represent!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just came from Anchorage ( lived there for three years). In the summer the riding is pretty good because there there is so much sunlight (up to around 20 hours in the summer and it never really gets "dark".) They have a 1/4 mile strip there that races everything from bikes, to jet cars. There are a lot of nice twisty roads with decent pavement. The only "track" is about 3-4 hours away from anchorage and it isn't the greatest but it's something. The police seem to be cracking down more because there is a few sportbike groups that are starting to piss people off. The begginning of summer is a little dangerous becauase there is still a lot of gravel that they laid down for all the ice we get in the winter.
FYI - People seem to have a few misconseptions about the Alaska. First off, in the summer it is 70-80 degrees and the snow does melt. I lived in Tahoe also and they got 5 fold what Anchorage gets snow wise. Second, it is a normal city of a few hundred thousand. There is a dealer for every major bike manufactuer. Third, believe it or not, Alaska has the highest motorcyle ownership per capita in the United States......

·
Registered
332 Posts
i bought my gixxer in anchorage before coming down to tucson for school. in alaska they give us money every year just to buy bike parts. where exactly is that track anyway? i heard about it a lot once i got my bike first bike up there a few years ago but now that im into racing down in the southwest id like to see what that track is like

·
Premium Member
41,723 Posts
Why in the world did you bring up an old thread :wait

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Why would I start a new one?

·
Premium Member
41,723 Posts
Because Mr G was posting a picture. Your post has nothing to do with the original subject. It is ok to start a new thread ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts