Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just got some body parts in today that I won on ebay for the Slingshot track bike. They were AirTech items I got cheap (like $27 for a brand new upper for a 95) and noticed something right away. They were heavier than my oiler stuff and they didn't flex in my hand. Then I looked closer and sure enough, they had more layers of glass on them and were thicker as a result. All told, I'm pretty happy with the quality.

So I go back and look at my first gen glass and check the date (AirTech puts dates in all of their glass) and see that it was made in 96, but the new stuff I got was made in 01. So, apparently somewhere between 96 and 01 they yanked thier heads out thier asses and started making a higher quality product because my first gen stuff is complete junk that required a lot of reinforcement to make them worthwhile.

But here's the question. If you order first gen glass from them, will it be the stuff from the new process or the old? Basically, what I am getting at is if you decide to order glass from AirTech for your project, make sure it's made post 00. I don't don't know when they made the change, but I know the 01 date of mfg is much better than the 96 date of mfg.

Just putting the word out to anyone interested.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good question long. I myself have been wondering if they have improved their manufacturing process. Although I still wish sharkskinz still made our old bodywork......

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
good info. the thing is that you know that you cannot ask air-tech since they will not give you a straight answer. so, the best bet is for someone who has recently purchased some first generation body work to chime in.

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I read o the website that they don't keep stock at all. The keep molds and then when an order is placed, they make the part. I'm not sure how much I believe this but in the case of older fairings with less demand this may be true. I'd bet you can get a set from stock for a new GSXR600 though. At any rate, if you buy stuff today, it's probably going to be of the new process.

·
whiter than whole milk...
25,346 Posts
im not sure about the dates but when i got my 91 it already had airtech glass and i repainted it black, and preping that shit was no fun. Infact i had to reinforce mostly everything besides the two mid section fairings with the vents in them.
if they are revised it's deffinitly not a bad thing.
thanx for the info tho maybe all hope isn't lost afterall

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only other viable option is Beasley Composites. I don't know if they are any better or worse as I have not compared them. Maier Mfg makes some cheap plastic replacement parts but quality isn't very good. I sent a full set back to them about a year and a half ago and won't bother with any of thier sportbike products. Dirt stuff is okay, but not the street stuff if you are looking for good high quality plastic.

http://www.beasleycomposites.com/

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I got an upper for a 95 and a supersport tail for a 95. They are going on the Slingshot track bike - the frame I got from rjardy. I'm going to get those mids though when I get down south since I'll be in the same area as Air-Tech. I want to tour thier facility and then I'll order the parts. I'll post after I do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.