Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to starting the fit-up of the Airtech panels. What a PITA! Stuff doesn't line up, differences from one side to the other, etc. I've learned that spending the time to hunt down decent OEM stuff (if it exists) would have been the way to go. At least the fiberglass is fairly easy to work with (drill, shave, etc.). I must have put in about 5 hours just getting the windscreen holes marked and drilled. Man, I hope I never have to go through that nightmare again!
I'm still trying to figure out how to clear the oil cooler.

[ 01-26-2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: 771Doug ]

·
Banned
982 Posts
You Think AirTech sucks when trying to Fit It?
Shit Dat's Da' Easy Part!!!

Wait Till You paint It,and You start noticing all the stress Cracks!!!!!
Most of Them You'll find when Your Done!And The Pits...Oh My!!You can fill them but more will come!
It's Like spitting in Da' Sea!

Well,happy Ventures,and dont handle Them too much!They hate being touched...very Fragile!
Oh Yeah-->But,Lite!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regarding stress fractures, I've found that by epoxying metal washers, which surround the grommet (or just the fastener shaft, if a grommet isn't used) to the backsides of most body panels, regardless of their materials, stress fractures can be stopped from happenning in the first place, and stopped from getting worse if you go this route after a fracture has occured.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR1255JIMMY:
GET that stuff gelcoated that is the only way to get rid of the little cracks & dimples

my2cents
jimmy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure Just Get Them Gel Coated!!!!

Right Down Da'Block!!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The Gel Coat that AirTech uses is what causes the stress cracks. Sharkskins and some of the others don't use a gel coat so no stress cracks. Gel Coat is a layer of resin sprayed in prior to the mat being layed down, at a 1/16th of an inch and no mat to strengthen it just average flexing cracks it. Gel coating is great for boats and other galss that is heavy enough tat it does not flex much, just not on somthing as light as our bike parts.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Your Right about That!

I hate Working with Their stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Well now you understand why i recommended not running airtech on street bikes.............

Mine are stressed cracked in areas on the GSXR race bike, TONS of time to get the pieces flat for paint..... Never again for me

On a side note the Blue bike uses custom FRP bodywork on the whole bike, and the tail on the GSXR is custom FRP, and thier quality is TOP NOTCH and NO stress cracks in either bike on those parts.....

[ 01-27-2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: gsxr12161216 ]

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR1255JIMMY:
gsxr12161216 do you have a web address for FRP ??

thanks in advance
jimmy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Custom FRP is no longer around if i remember right. I beleive (may be wrong) that Beasly fiberglass bought them out???

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
NO web site for BEASLEY but you can call them 1 800 745 5886.I did and the prices were cheaper than airtech.I plan on oredering my parts next month so if you do not buy any before than I will let you know what I think when I get them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made the initial cuts, tonight. This is why I had to move the battery under the tank. This piece is definitely better than the others.

[ 01-31-2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: 771Doug ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts