Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently replaced the stock airbox on my 97 600 with one from a 99 600. The 99 unit fits perfect except for where the air ducts on the airbox meet the intake holes in the frame. Actually, thats the problem. They dont meet the frame by about a 1/4 of an inch. My question is, should I somehow "seal" the gap? If so, should I make the seal air tight? (The 97 unit was not "air tight") Right now the bike runs great but if it could run better with the gaps sealed then of course I'll do it. By the way, the 99 airbox is larger than the 97 and added nice sound and a little bit of power.

------------------

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
you can get some kind of foam stuff to fill the gap.....I know LP sells rolls of foam tape stuff but I bet you can find something like it at a local hardware place (prob cheaper too, LP sells it for $16.75, P/N 114-2817) .....there was a post about this somewhere else, I can't think of where right now and I don't have time to search for it at the moment. My suggestion would be to find foam and then tape it on there to secure it..... I am having a similar problem with one of my ram air tubes, I am going to do the same. if I find some good stuff I will let ya know what I use, I'm thinking there will be some sort of insulation or foam stuff at Home Depot I can use. I just need to shop around

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what does "stock" mean ??

click here to see some cool VIDEOS

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Make sure you have the box seated properly first....it only takes one to misalign the whole deal. If it is seated properly...There is a variety of ways to duct it....Drier ducting...duct tape(not the best idea,but it'll do the job)....take a visit to your local eagle hardware....its a great DIY companion....

------------------
"So this is Hell? Oh look,a cross....How ironic..."

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
thats exactly what I was thinking about, some sort of weatherstripping stuff you might use on a door or window.....make sure ya got the box (hu huh, I said "box" mheehe hu huh) on there correctly and then see what kinda gap you're getting. the more sealed it is, the more air ya get to burn with yer gas!

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what does "stock" mean ??

click here to see some cool VIDEOS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts