Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I´ve got a gsx750r -85.
The old (original) airfilter is very very dirty and needs to be replaced. I´ve looked for a filter but they are very pricy, so pricy that it´s actualy cheeper to by four single k/n filters.
And that sounds sweet in my ears! I´ve wanted do have that before, but I tought it would be to expensive! (I´m on a VERY tight budget)

If I understand right I´ll have to break the airbox to remove it!
so I wan´t this to work without any expensive tuning stuff..

now a fraind of mine told me that the bike would run well if I replace the main nozzle(jet?) ("huvudmunstycke" in swedish). with the size 112.
Will this work? If not.. should I stick with the airbox? As I said.. I´m on a VERY tight budeget!!!!

I have a stock exhaust by the way!

thanks for your time and help!

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If you're on that tight a budget, and you've got stock drivetrain, spring for a stock replacement air filter and forget the individuals etc until you have the bucks to afford the fuckaround with the jetting, ie dyno. Also, given that the stock exhaust is fairly restrictive, not much point in going for the multi K&Ns at this time anyhow.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
In my humble opinion, even with the extra cost it would be cheaper and run better staying with a stock filter, especially with a stock exhaust. The K&N stock replaement is your next best bet, but then you would probably need to do some re-jetting, start adding $ (Kronors? Marks? Euro's?). If you deviate from the stock then you start adding up the changes needed to make it run right. Just changing the main jet size will only help on the top end, it won't help it run right at partial throttle, so you would need a complete kit. Good luck. Troy341

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Keep the airbox. If you want it to run and breathe better, buy a 4-2-1 pipe. On my 1127, I only gained 4 HP by removing the airbox and installing a jet-kit, and it took an afternoon on the dyno to get it right. - your bike will run like dogsnot if you just remove the airbox and don't install the jet kit along with the individual filters.

K&N OEM filters come up on eBay for our bikes still... just be patient.

oh yeah, I almost forgot... unless the pricing lists have changed, the BMC filters available from factorypro.com are less-expensive than the K&N stuff.

[ 11-16-2002, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
FYI, the airbox on your year of bike isn't resonant anyway, so removal per se doesn't have the effect that it would on 1990 on up. That said, its still not worth the aggro unless you can afford to do it right the first time. For cheap power on your budget, just go up a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket when replacement time comes. Good riding!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I´ll just by a new airfilter then. a bit boring thought..

To by from the filter from Suzuki is a bit pricy but it seems that there is no other choise!
every other place I´ve looked at doesn´t have a filter for the -85.
is the filter diffrent from -86 and -87 models??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I´ll just by a new airfilter then. a bit boring thought..

To by from the filter from Suzuki is a bit pricy but it seems that there is no other choise!
every other place I´ve looked at doesn´t have a filter for the -85.
is the filter diffrent from -86 and -87 models??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I replace the old filter with an K&N filter thats fits in the airbox without make any adjustments to the carburators???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
iommi
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing