Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tryin to decide between jet kits , is there a noticeable power diff. between airbox-jetkit&indiv. filters&jetkit ,both kits have diff. jets, seems like most like the K&n kit ??

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by 90blugixx:
tryin to decide between jet kits , is there a noticeable power diff. between airbox-jetkit&indiv. filters&jetkit ,both kits have diff. jets, seems like most like the K&n kit ??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I put a Hindle pipe on my `89 1127 motor and dyno'd it with the stock airbox and no re-jet... it made 80 ft-lbs of torque and 127HP at the rear wheel. I put the Factory Pro "config 3.0" kit with the BMC individual filters (just like the K&N's) on it and Dyno'd again and I got 84 ft-lbs and 131HP at the rear wheel. The single biggest boost I got was the ignition advance. If I had it to do over again, I'd have put the config 1.0 kit and left tha airbox in... but then again, the individual filters make it *so* much easier to re-install the carbs... if you wann see the dyno charts I got, go look at http://fastcat.gixxer.com/hindle.html

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The reasons are many to go seperate filters...And just as many to go with an Airbox. The Seperate filters give more power as long as you stay on the same climate and altitude. As the tempature here in Alaska changes Spring, Summer, and Fall I have to re-jet three times a year to keep max power. And as my race track is 2500ft higher than where I normally ride I have to re-jet there as well (4 races per year). An airbox helps to keep the carbs at a constant pressure and intake temp. you only need to jet once and you are probably good for the season. The only downfall is that the stock airbox is limited by air intake. The box that you can get from Airtech costs 550.00 and folws great over the seperate filters inside but takes alot of dyno time to jet properly. Weigh your options and make your choice.
Bones

·
Registered
978 Posts
throw that airbox in the trash and get a k&n stage 3 kit i loved it when i used one good power gane or get a set of 38 or 40 flat slides ausom power gain

·
3,476 Posts
The dyno man I used believed that for the old Gixxers leaving the stock airbox was better for low/mid power, and individual filters were a definite advantage for top end. I left mine in. Glad to hear that some of you have at least considered it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx all, also was thinkin about 38s can get a set for $200. same price as a jet kit but not sure if there will be a good increase in power(worth the trouble& $$),changin the pipe to v&h from yosh I got used at the busa site, fascat- nice bike , ragnar ,usually go to jersey shore for rides.

·
3,476 Posts
Cool. Maybe you can show me some good roads, I just moved here from Austin TX.

·
Registered
219 Posts
just one more point, the stage three calls for bigger jets allowing for more gas requiring more air to make more power.

·
Registered
219 Posts
just one more point, the stage three calls for bigger jets allowing for more gas requiring more air to make more power.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by 88/750:
GSXR1255JIMMY is right on the money.
And there is a BIG power difference, all over the power curve, but mostly top-end. The ONLY reasons I would even consider keeping the airbox would be if the bike was bone stock and in mint condition, or to conform to some kind of laws for registration or the like.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe the 750 motors respond differently... I dunno. On my 1127 motor, I only picked up 4HP and 4ft-lbs on peak numbers... I wouldn't call that "big". The ignition advancer made more diff than getting rid of the airbox did... if you look at the dyno trace, you can see that there's a spot around 4K RPMs where I picked up about 10 ft-lbs... that wasn't like that before the ignition advnacer went on... Perhaps if I had opted for a pipe that was meant for all-out top-end I might have picked up another HP or two on the peak numbers, but I hardly *ever* spin the motor up to 11K and I *suspect* I would have gotten more gains in the bottom and middle if I had kept my airbox.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 88/750:
And there is a BIG power difference, all over the power curve, but mostly top-end. The ONLY reasons I would even consider keeping the airbox would be if the bike was bone stock and in mint condition, or to conform to some kind of laws for registration or the like.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe the 750 motors respond differently... I dunno. On my 1127 motor, I only picked up 4HP and 4ft-lbs on peak numbers... I wouldn't call that "big". The ignition advancer made more diff than getting rid of the airbox did... if you look at the dyno trace, you can see that there's a spot around 4K RPMs where I picked up about 10 ft-lbs... that wasn't like that before the ignition advnacer went on... Perhaps if I had opted for a pipe that was meant for all-out top-end I might have picked up another HP or two on the peak numbers, but I hardly *ever* spin the motor up to 11K and I *suspect* I would have gotten more gains in the bottom and middle if I had kept my airbox.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For a bolt-on upgrade like pipe+jet kit+filters, +4HP and +4ftlbs. more IS BIG! considering the total power upgrade is MAYBE +20HP! that's 25% more for the same amount of work if you even get 20HP out of it. I do think he sould round out the package with an ignition advance plate also.
Even if I'm wrong with these numbers and it's only 10% more, it's still 10% more.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
3,476 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:

. On my 1127 motor, I only picked up 4HP and 4ft-lbs on peak numbers... I wouldn't call that "big".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed. And if you picked up 4hp over the stock filter/airbox, then a K&N in the box would make the overall gain of individual filters even smaller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts