Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long might be able to have some imput on this one. I am starting to get impatient on looking for a good oem upper. Mine is cracked in way too many places to try to repair, I hear maier is junk but what about air techs stock replacement fiber glass upper. Anyone ever used one with rest of stock parts. I am wanting to get my paintwork going and this is what is holding me up.

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
How soon do you want to do this? I plan to visit AirTech when I move back to SoCal in December and when I do I'll likely order an upper for my bike. I plan to use all AirTech glass on my "no limits" project but I am prepared to do a lot of work to them if necessary. If the new upper I got for my Slingshot is any indication, quality has improved and they won't need much work.

Put it this way, all the high dollar bikes used to use glass while the production versions used ABS. The Honda RC30, Ducati 888, Yamaha OW01, etc all used glass on the limited models but ABS on production models. I've worked with glass quite a bit in aircraft, automotive, and motorcycle applications and I know this, if you are determined enough you can work the heck out of glass.

One thing I will say though is that the AirTech stuff (on the mids) will not have the little vents by the carbs because they are a separate part of the panel as is the black plastic strip on the top of the mids. If you can find these parts you could mod the plastic to fasten them on but they don't surface that often. My "no limits" bike is not going to have them because of the cold air kit I am going to have on it so I am not worried about it. Also, the upper does not have any little plastic add ons like this so it shouldn't be an issue.

At any rate, if you can wait until Christmas timeframe I will be able to give you a full report on the stuff.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my upper in today, looks pretty good. Trim piece for the headlight fits good, and seems to fit one bike ok. Rest of my plastics are in paintshop so I will have wait to fit it. Painter was able to repair my stock one also, so I will have an extra. Hopefully will be able to put bodywork on bike on Thanksgiving.

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
You got an AirTech then? I just saw an AirTech upper mated to a set of stock bodywork and it worked out quite well. He didn't have stock paint on the bike, but I couldn't see anything that didn't line up right. I may end up using AirTech stuff myself this time as I am not going to spend another 9 months trying to locate the last piece of NOS stuff in this galaxy and then pay with my firstborn just to get it shipped from who knows where - friggin Jupiter probably, and then have some crackhead asshole steal the bike from me anyway a few months later? Nope, not this time. If I can't find it by the time I'm ready for it then I'll go with AirTech glass.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean about trying to find a good upper. The airtech looks pretty decent, could use a little sanding around the edges. I plan on sanding and spraying a high build primer in the inside to build up and smooth out the inside. I think with a couple of hours of prep I can have it fitting and looking good and plus it should hold up for a while. Not sure how long my stock repaired will last until it develops more cracks, so it will be good to have a back up. I'll try to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sharkskins make a 90-91 upper and bodywork.

AIRTECH is JUNK!!!

Maier does not make it anymore and if they did, for a street bike replacement it is GREAT. But it's like stock plastic so for racing it sucks.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too like sharkskinz products but they dont make any first gen parts. Had sharkskinz on my erion replica 900rr and it held up good, not nearly as brittle. Been working on my upper, bout got the inside smoothed out and ready to paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.