Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on Gixxer.com have any pictures or information on installing a set of air horns on a K5? If you do, can you post some pics or explain what would be a good area on that particular bike to mount the horn set up? I hate the stock horn and I would like to put on a set of decent sounding air horns.

·
Banned
1,825 Posts
I personally think its a good idea.
Fear is the only thing that keeps cagers in line.
Semi's and big trucks strick fear in the heart of all cagers, could stop a cut off dead in its tracks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I would imagine up the the faring in front of the radiator would be the best location/most room. You could have them tucked at the top pointing down, or to the side [watch your wheel clearance].

Heh heh another idea would be to hide one in your RAM air tube =D [of course you would lose airflow, but damn would it ever make a mean sound.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I dont know about air horns, but I saw a gixxer with a set of 2 tone horns from a full size pickup installed, and DAMN did that thing scare the shit outa me when he hit the horn. Only thing the guy who did the install said to watch out for was he kept blowing fuses, so he had to do a little wiring in and put in a relay between the horns and the switch. I am definately looking into doing this mod on my bike since im tired of the little "road runner meep-meep" sounding horn.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I dont know about air horns, but I saw a gixxer with a set of 2 tone horns from a full size pickup installed, and DAMN did that thing scare the shit outa me when he hit the horn. Only thing the guy who did the install said to watch out for was he kept blowing fuses, so he had to do a little wiring in and put in a relay between the horns and the switch. I am definately looking into doing this mod on my bike since im tired of the little "road runner meep-meep" sounding horn.
the horns are a good investmetn they have help me a few time.. i installed then on my 03 600.. i mounted th horns to the subframe and was able to put the tail back on with no problem....i tried to but then on my boys k5 but there was not too much room in that tail section...if you guys want pix of my set up lt me know....good luck withthe project

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I like the idea of the two horns but I really like the sound of the air horns. If you could why dont' you put up a couple of air horn pics so that I can have some kine of idea of what the set up would be like.

·
Registered
606 Posts
just buy one at a sports store and temporary mount it under your windscreen

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Check out Bugmans website. he installed air horns on his k3? 1000 and did a really nice write up about it. Clicky It should be listed on the left hand side. If you don't see it he has a link at the top of his page for his second page and again, check the left side. Hope that helps

·
Registered
134 Posts
CHECK OUT TWO TONE HORNS FROM JCWHITNEY. THEY'RE ABOUT 30 BUCKS AND RATE AT ABOUT 110 - 125 DECIBELS, AND THEY'RE MADE FOR BIKES.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
What effect does it have on these trumpets if you either trim down the diameter at the end of it, or cut off the flare on the end...like cut a couple inches off of it?

I kinda like these: http://www.autobarn.net/wolo417.html
but they're pretty big. I want something with a deep sound, and loud.

·
Registered
113 Posts
temporary mount it under your windscreen
they do this in the village of china on their bicycles, they sell rice cakes.
Seen it on one of my tours...

I always wanted airhorns.
I don't use my stock hornks because it sounds really funny. makes me fuckin laugh.
*mweeepp bweep...beep
taaake meeee toooo the balllll gaaaame..............

·
Mama Bear
17,836 Posts
LMAO yeah I'm sure they would, they'd probably cost more than the bike though.

I liek the idea of air horns, or anything louder than the stocker.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have a set installed on my 04 750. Compressor and horns fit nicely under the tail with still enough room for the toolkit, alarm and small chain. Had to get rid of the tank prop thingy though, and probably have to ditch the toolkit if I put the pillion seat on (thats not gonna happen anytime soon
).
Don't run the 12v directly through the switch to the compressor or you'll burn out the switch. You just fit a relay to the old horns terminals on the radiator and switch the 12v through that instead. Most horn kits come with the relay anyway so its pretty easy.

Best fun when car drivers look around to find out its a bike and not a MAC truck behind them that they just cut up

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea, check Bugman's site. I installed the Wolf horns instead of the twin horns
on my 01 1K, and I love them. Everybody wants to know where the sound comes from, and what the hell is making my horn so damn loud. It may be a little difficult on the 05 with the way the tail section is. GOOD LUCK.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts