Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 88' GSX-R750, I just had the carbs cleaned and rebuilt. It's got an aftermarket air filter in it right now (UNI I believe), and a 4 into 1 pipe. Carbs are jetted for stock right now. Whats the best air filter to use on this bike? Whats involved in rejetting and what would that cost? Would it be hard to do myself?

The mechanic is also telling me there may be rust in the tank.. as the carbs were coated in a brownsih film (I think it's just bacause the bike sat all winter with no stabilizer), I did see some junk in the bottom of the tank though. They're going to drain it and I'll have a look, he told me to put a liner in it but warned it may lift paint. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned out, the mechanic couldn't tell me if it was rust or not. What to do?

·
3,482 Posts
There's been a debate since your bike was made about whether to get rid of the airbox or not. The short stroke motors can be a serious pain to jet correctly although from what I've heard it isn't impossible. I'm just wondering if it's worth that much trouble for so little gain as the airbox isn't really that bad. Do some more research before you decide to destroy it or ya might regret it. If you plan to keep the airbox and it runs good now, leave it alone.

Regarding the tank, if it's needed............

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=306

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
they sell cans of B-12 carb cleaner by the gallon at auto stores swirl that around for a few hours and rinse it out refill it ,and ride leave well enough alone trust me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on getting rid of the airbox, just wondering if it would be wise to rejet due to the new exhuast and aftermarket filter. I'll see how it runs when I get it back, then decide from there I guess.

I'd rather not use the tank sealant if I don't have to, as I don't know for sure if there is rust or not.. maybe it's just crap from sitting around too long. I was reading somewhere else that radiator shops can repair tanks, anyone tried that before? Is there a way to tell if there's rust in the tank besides looking in the filler hole?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Go with a 'FACTORY' brand jet kit.
You have one of the BEST A/F's you can buy.
Keep the stock airbox. In a cross wind, pods can be effected.
As far as the 'rust goes', get a second opinion . You can in the meantime, install a BIG in-line fuel filter. In the Clymer book, they list a part number for it.
Its from AC/Delco. You should have one anyway. If you try to use 'Berrymans B-12 Chem tool', to clean the inside of the tank, be advised, It attacks paint! Its awsome cleaner, but, it can and will do harm, if misused.
OK, If you have to seal the tank. There is a process (advertised in Brit. Bike Mag's) to seal the inside , without destroying the tanks finish.
If you need help with the part number for the filter, PM me, same goes for the address and phone number for the tank seal info., It will take some time to find, but, if you need help, let me know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts