Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my (awesome) wife got me an AIM Solo GPS lap timer for my birthday and I was searching everywhere for mounting ideas for motorcycle / bike. Tons of car shit popped up but no bike stuff really. There's not much room in the cockpit of my '89 GSXR750 racebike... I didn't want to velcro it to the tank - can't tuck in if I do - or weld an additional mounting point to the fairing bracket.

I realized I had some room on the left handlebar and remembered some crappy $15 bar end mirrors I bought ages ago. Here goes... Crack the mirror glass out of it (I'd recommend eye protection - this stuff splintered pretty hard) with a sharp implement and remove the two phillips screws underneath to take of the aluminum mirror housing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Line up the left mounting hole in the supplied steel AIM mounting bracket to the outside screw hole on the mirror mount and use the supplied screw to attach it to the bracket. Clamp the handlebar mount on your clip on and angle the bracket in the desired position and test fit the lap timer (snaps in place with the magnets).
Check clearance with instruments/fairing bracket /fairing by turning bars lock to lock. Mark the angle with a sharpie and remove the bracket from the handlebar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flip the bracket over and mark the second hole of the aluminum mirror mount on the steel AIM bracket, drill a pilot hole, then a full size hole and countersink it for the second flat head phillips head screw.
Remove burrs on AIM plate and use red loctite to both phillips head screws and attach the AIM bracket to the mirror mount. Attach clamp to handlebar and angle bracket to desired position, tighten bolts. Done! Hope this helps someone...

PS: please replace the dumb hipster acorn nut on the mirror mount pivot with a nylock and safety wire the timer just in case...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts