Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit clunky with the new forum layout so decided to start a new thread. After a Looooong summer, the re-work is finally done (are we ever REALLY done?) Unfortunately was not able to finish in time for the Road America AHRMA event as the motor finally roared to life 12 hrs before open practice. The weekend wasn't a total loss as we did bring it for the Rockerbox Vintage bike show and netted Best-in Show 馃弳 After Many missed deadlines, finally got it on track Monday for the shakedown. Bit of tweaking to do over the winter but overall thrilled with the results. Changes for this year included a complete rebuild on a 92 motor with overbore, adjustable 91 1100 cams, Extensive Head work and stiffer valve springs, Barnett Clutch springs, Dyna 2000 and mini coils tied in with a Dynojet quick-shift, Total loss ignition, custom race harness with quick change Lithium Batteries, Mikuni RS38 flatslides with an Under-braced Swingarm and Yosh replica catch-can tossed in for good measure. Pretty happy with the results so far tickling 121 rwhp. Combined with shedding over 25lbs, this thing should surprise some folks next year 馃槻 Special thanks to Jason Farrell of Farrell Performance for all his help (and patience). Frank Zlama and Kelly Roberts (and everyone here) for sharing their priceless experience, Craig Grant of Pingel Enterprise for the smokin deals on hardware and of course... Jason Dunne Fiberman for the trick Carb Covers. Enjoy!!!
20190911_172754.jpg
20190911_174143.jpg
20190911_173903.jpg
20190911_173712.jpg
20190911_173959.jpg
20190911_174304.jpg
20190911_174333.jpg
20190911_175049.jpg
20190624_125914.jpg
20190718_184939.jpg

Premium Member
very nice build!

121 RWHP is impressive! for comparison's sakes; my first gen trackbike with a stock 86 750 engine with only a full yosh exhaust and RS36mm makes 95RWHP, and my other first gen trackbike makes 100RWHP, with aftermarket pistons and carrillo rods. of course, dyno readings vary, but you have a healthy engine.

this is going to be your trackbike?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
very nice build!

121 RWHP is impressive! for comparison's sakes; my first gen trackbike with a stock 86 750 engine with only a full yosh exhaust and RS36mm makes 95RWHP, and my other first gen trackbike makes 100RWHP, with aftermarket pistons and carrillo rods. of course, dyno readings vary, but you have a healthy engine.

this is going to be your trackbike?
Yes, it will be one of my track bikes but built primarily for the one local AHRMA round here at Road America. My original (stock 86 with Yosh) made 91rwhp. The last gen Oiler made 10HP more to start with and according to the experts had the best head for flow work (so long as you stay on top of your valve lash) and rods for the long haul.

Premium Member
yeah, the R716 90-92 750 engines are the best oil-cooled 750 engines. i prefer the 90 engine, because it didn't have valve shims.

the 91-92's had a tendency to spit out valve shims during high rpm's. happened to me. valves and pistons collided; broke two valves and damaged the piston. no bueno. so, yeah, if you have shims, keep up on the clearances.

keep us posted on your track activities and i'll do the same. always nice to see these bikes at the track.

Premium Member
Great looking bike man! Hope to see you on the track sometime. RA is on my list of 'east coast' AHRMA rounds I'd like to hit at some point. Nice rearsets 馃榿

Premium Member
Great looking bike and a stout engine. Are you planning to only do Road America or will you try and make it to Blackhawk and possibly Barber. Should be at least 5-6 new bikes out for Next Gen in 2020 so hope to see you on track.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Are you planning to only do Road America or will you try and make it to Blackhawk and possibly Barber. Should be at least 5-6 new bikes out for Next Gen in 2020 so hope to see you on track.
Thanks. My objective is certainly Barber so Blackhawk and Gingerman is a prerequisite given the "2 event" rule to qualify for Barber. Unfortunately, Road America is off the Calendar for 2020. Depressing considering this extensive build was for the 3 top gear W.O. sections there :( Most other tracks can be geared for accordingly. 5-6 more bikes would be awesome as I have 2 buddies working on Next Gen projects also. See you in 2020 !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts