Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning out my garage last week to get things started I decided to live life on the edge. Last night Speedtrapper helped me roll the gixxer up the steps and into the living room...yes the wife is out of town

So what stage is the conversion in? The air box, carbs, coils, undertail oil cooler and the valve cover are off.

Tonight I'll pull the valve head and possibly the block.

Here's an FYI for anyone else that gets cylinders honed...after reading the note from APE and talking to a couple of buddies that have done a few blocks, I've been told a "secret"

When you get your block back, take a bottle of dish soap, thick latex gloves (like for cleaning ovens and kitchens...something most guys know nothing about) and fill a sink with the hottest water you can stand. Get it good and sudsy and put the block in. Using soft rags or soft shop towels, wash the bores. You'd be amazed at all the residual crap left after the machine shop has "cleaned" it in the solvent tank. I thought I'd repotted a plant after I'd drained the water.

Then, here's the other "secret,"...the bores are going to rust in a blink of an eye so you've got to move fast...using soft shop towels, wipe the bores with AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

Yes...automotive automatic transmission fluid. ATF not only lubricates metal it lubricates her hard to reach...errr, wait that's something else
...ATF has cleaning agents in its mix that will draw out any mircoscopic evil things from the bores. Really!! The first 3 or 4 rags per bore get less and less dirty. I'm on the 6th rag per bore and there's really nothing left to wipe out. Mind you I'm not scrubbing or being aggressive...I'm just wiping.

I just hope it works

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

can't wait for my new block mmmm 1340cc

-Karl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts