Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about aftermarket OEM-style wheels like this one?

I need a new front wheel after damaging mine.
I thought I remembered hearing that later R1 wheels are lighter but recent research shows that might not be true.

I'm leaning towards ordering that new wheel from ebay above.
But thought I'd check here for other options first.

I could just get a used OEM wheel but there are none around me right now.
And shipping a used, unseen wheel would be almost as expensive as the new aftermarket ebay wheel which I at least know would be in good shape.

· Registered
3,590 Posts
I tend to not trust non oem wheels unless they are from a proven company like pvm, mavic or bst. China is cranking out too many oem style rims that fail so I just blanket say no to any of them.
If you can swing new oem or even a new mavics or bst set.

Reactions: EddieRideFast

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,117 Posts
That's a complex casting with hollow sections and I don't see how it can be made for anywhere near $200. It's marked JWL but that's a self certification that can be skipped. See this and this. I'd really want to see something beyond JWL on an aftermarket wheel. The listing says the wheel brand is Areyourshop. What? They're just a Hong Kong based aftermarket seller. That's not something that I'd want on a 180 MPH capable bike. You die or are maimed if it fails.

· Registered
GSX-R750
441 Posts
Make sure to get the wheel inspected for runout before you throw it on your machine. I had a shop do this for me, but they did it wrong. So I got that damaged wheel powder coated and everything to find out the wheel was egg shaped and rode horrible.

Get the tire off, and leave the bearings in unless they're shot, and take it to a machine shop and bring them the runout specs for the factory wheel, so that you don't invest all the time and effort in getting your tire on, maybe a new valve stem, maybe new bearings, and your brake rotor, only to find the wheel needs fixing or is FUBAR.

I'm mad because it happened to me, even though I had a shop check and they screwed me lol. My tire shop put the new tire on my bad wheel and brought it out with a hundred wheel weights on one side.... Obviously that's not right. Uhg.

Check now while it's not on your bike. Trust me. Good choice for used OEM wheel though.

-Mike

· Registered
3,590 Posts
Or go to harbor freight and buy there wheel balancer stand and a magnetic dial indicator and check it yourself. Probably cost you 70 bucks with a coupon.

Reactions: SparkyMJ

· Registered
GSX-R750
441 Posts
My mistake was taking the bearings out before checking the runout. The bearings were shot, so I had it in my mind that I should take them out first, but in order to check the wheel for runout, you need bearings... So I had sunk more cost into the wheel already than I should have. Thought I could get away with it, but I did not. Lol.

-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts