Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone recommend a good set of indicators that replace the built-in rearview mirror/indicators?

I broke off one of mine being careless (I literally bumped into it and it disintegrated and the mirror piece fell out).

Ideally I'd like something that can fit without drilling/cutting fairings - so direct replacements.

What rear view mirrors would you guys recommend? Perhaps something bar-end? I need to keep the bike as "Thin" as possible since I commute on it.

Bike is a K6 1000.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,931 Posts
Buy OEM replacements. Why go with some shitty aftermarket ones that are guaranteed to suck?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,844 Posts
The OEM mirrors have an aluminum base and stalk with plastic only at the outer housing. Some aftermarket mirrors have plastic stalks and "disintegrated" sounds like you might have one. We discussed mirrors several years ago here (#9 onward). There are some good aftermarket clones out there but you need to look carefully. You might even try AliExpress but I'd be especially careful there. Other things to watch for are acrylic mirrors instead of glass and missing electrical connectors.

In my experience the OEM mirror silvering isn't very well protected and is prone to develop crack-like patterns that begin at the edges and very slowly grow across the mirror. It's possible to remove the mirror and resilver it. But it's hard to take them apart and resilvering was fairly expensive the last time I checked.

Here's an old thread about bar ends. Be aware that, unlike mirrors that mount on the cowling, they will move with the steering.

P.S. It's been years and I only did it once but the mirror adjustment pivot is a spring tensioned ball joint held in place by a screw that just barely threads into its base (this may be somewhat scrambled). As I recall, you can see the end of the screw by removing the indicator. But the screw head is only accessible by removing the actual mirror, which snaps into its housing and is a bitch to get out. Note that I'm not referring to the pivot between the stalk and the base.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts