Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so it's common knowlage that suzuki's second gear is garbage for hard riding. is there a replacement? something a bit stronger i can get? that works better? ANYONE? please, please help me out.

OR if i do replace the tranny, how long am i looking at on tranny life? i know it depends on your style of riding, but what am i looking at? 5000 miles? 10k? 1k?

it's a 2000, with damn near 19k miles, should i just upgrade? get a kaw or honda (stronger tranny's)??

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
its not the tranny thats shit..the 2k had a bad run of parts that came out that wore excessively fast. and if youve got 19k on the clock you may have and 2k and half model. The later runs of that year had the issue fixed and no problems. and if it does go out you can always have the gears undercut.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i dropped a whole 03 enign tranny in my shit.. got sick of the gear skipping when it was pulling hard..

·
Registered
951 Posts
have 30,000+ miles of extremely riding on my 02 750 streetbike,......no shift problems at all.

I think a lot of the problems happen from rider error and improper shift lever angle set up.

Racebike has 11k on the clock with no problems also.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, should i replace it with the stock parts? or what? what would you recomend, my most knowlageable homies

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's the answer i needed. when you use those parts, they are stronger than the stuff i have there now. Thank you much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gsxr02750, i'll know tomorrow. do you want to know about just the undercutting? that's like 250, but the full new sprocket and undercut? i'll check

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2nd gear went out at 16k miles last summer. I pulled my trans and waited a month to get all the gears undercut. Cost $350.

I've put 4k HARD miles on it since then and no problems. BTW I rarely use the clutch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks much, Kcritter. that helps my decision to KEEP THE BIKE and not go with another one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts