Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've tried both Maier and Air Tech bodywork for my '86 GSX-R and I'm not happy with their fit and finish at all.

The only other place that I can think of that makes replacement body work for this model is Beasely. Does any body have experiences with Beaseley? How's the fit and finish? Are the mounting holes pre-drilled?

Are ther any other places that makes replacement bodywork for the '86 gixxer? I'd go with OEM, but the price of the OEM upper fairing alone is like $500...

Thanks,
Yancy

·
Registered
978 Posts
i would stick with AIRTECH

i know there are no holes and no paint but you can get it gelcoated from airtech or paint it your self

·
Registered
139 Posts
Boy, that's a tough one!
The Airtech Yosh Tornado bodywork I've got looks like crap! (And it's brand new right out of the box!) The finish is poor, the fit sucks and it's gonna take a bit (shit load) of work to get it to an acceptable level, but where else am I going to find it?
In your case, sticking with the stock look (I presume) I'd look into Beasley it sure cant hurt.
Another posability is to scope out ebay for some good used oem stuff. Getting a piece here, and a piece there, can't be too terribly expensive, although you'll most likely have to paint it . (You would have to with the aftermarket stuff anyway)
Good Luck with your project, and let us know what you decide.
Dave.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
There are not alot of choices for the pre 88 stuff. Airtech, Beasley, Meier all of them have their problems. No aftermarket body that I have ever used was ready to paint right out of the box. All needed sanding and leveling to smooth out the waves.
Bones

·
Registered
11 Posts
i used shark skin bodywork after my little colision with a deer was good quality gell cated ready to paint

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The guys over on the racer forum rave about Sharkskinz...but don't know if they go back as far as yours. They do my '93, but.....

AirTech is shit. End of story. They substitue tits and ass in their marketing to draw attention away from fine print and crap product. Like I've said before, AirTech only if in perfect shape, prefitted nicely by someone else, and cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts