Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with EBC/Galfer or Brembo rotors and calipers for the oil-cooled gixxers? I am looking for a nice light upgrade to the heavy iron stockers. Any suggestions?

------------------

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I've the EBC's on my RG, what can I tell you about them? They slow me down? They fit well, and were reasonably priced. Oh, when you go to remove the ten bolts holding the rotors to the wheel, get a torch. Heat them well before you try to remove them. The heat will soften the threadlock Suzuki uses. If you try to remove them cold they are likely to snap.

------------------
'86 750 RG for nice days...
7/11 project for driving my wife nuts...
'82 GPZ550 for trashing without worries...

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Go with the Brembos. Here endeth the lesson.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all!
bcklrcr....Thanks, i already snapped one on my stock wheels.

bcjohn....which Brembo's do you recommend? I think they only make 320mm but my 88 discs are 310mm and I think the offset is wrong?

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suzukiman17:
Thanks all!
bcklrcr....Thanks, i already snapped one on my stock wheels.

bcjohn....which Brembo's do you recommend? I think they only make 320mm but my 88 discs are 310mm and I think the offset is wrong?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look up TAW enterprises on the web. Brembo does a LOT of conversions for older bikes. I remember seeing a stock to cast for mine, 310mm with the requisite 3/4" offset.

You could also give Jeff Gehrs a shout at Ferodo Braketech in California. They do a number of conversion kits for 320mm (complete with the bracket to move your caliper out). Quality shit as well.

I'm leery of EBC for one reason only, their stock replacement rotors are complete crap, ie worse than stock. Now I've heard good reports from guys that use their iron rotors, but I just get that 'iffy' feeling re a company that sells junk at one end and _maybe_ quality at the other. Dunno. Just my opinion/feelings on the matter.

I've got the 330mm PM cast rotors on my '93 1100 and they are beautiful. BUT, I did go into the purchase knowing that I was paying a premium for the looks as well as the performance - personal choice, so not one I would recommend re bang for the buck. I'd do it again, but that's me.

Good luck - they will spoil you absolutely rotten. Especially the nice rattle of a true floating rotor

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I will call Jeff at Ferodo.

I was unable to find TAW relating to motorcycles, but I will keep looking.

Send me a pic of your bike, I am interested in your set up.

[email protected]

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Actually, its T.A.W.

do a search on 'brembo' + 'motorcycle' . It'll keep you clear of all the tons of brembo car racing shit.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John thanks. I finally found it and I talked to Jolene. She set me up with a sweet set of Gold 310mm Iron rotors for my bike with a set of nice 1 lb (yes that is one pound) calipers that bolt right on. Send me an email at [email protected] and I will respond with pics.

Thanks again!
E

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts