Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us were watching Fontana yesterday. BBQ'd steaks in hand we were wondering if the rear tail has been designed to provide downforce. Is it possible that Suzuki has designed some sort of tail "spoiler" to get the power down at speed?

People have always said the SRAD tail was there to stop drafting. I just think it was there to look sleek. Has Suzuki thought this one out (K5) to include downforce?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,033 Posts
Doubt it. by the time most of the air has passed over the riders head and back (even at full tuck), it's not likely much of it makes it all they way down there to provide much if any downforce to the tail. You'd get more force down on the rear end by shifting your body weight back I would think.

But I'm just assuming here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been watching how the 1000 is being ridden this year and it looks like they are leaned WAY father forward than in previous years. Yates could stick his tongue in the front spokes. Just seems the bike is just so damn hooked up in the rear that the front can be leaned on.

Areodynamics are weird. There may be some things at work we would normally discount that are really important at 100+mph. Just look at some palm sized winglets on F1 cars to see that at 100+ things get interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.