Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying an '86 750 LTD. What should I beware of on this model? Anyone got advice/info about the dry clutch?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Watch for major oil leaks around the clutch baskett. Most of these clutches leak a little so that would not be a big deal. The rest would be just like any other bike. How much do they want? I think I paid around $3600 for mine about 6 years ago and it was in pretty good shape. Look at it and figure out what you want to spend now and how much later. You will find problems so just be prepared to fix it.
Good luck

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Yup, what he said. Three years ago I got mine from a dealer for $3200 cash but as suzukiltd said, it had things wrong with it. With 21,000 miles on it it needed all the rotors, pads, tires, fluids, air filter to be replaced. I easily spent $1000 getting it safe and worry free.

As for the clutch, it needs to have the original suzuki plates in it. NOT the Barnett plates. The Barnett plates don't like the heat and tend to stick together which is BAD. If the seller lets you you should check the thrust bearing which is inside the clutch cover. Mine went bad shortly after I got it and I've heard from people that have raced RG's that they tend to die every few thousand miles.

I've since gone nuts changing things on the bike to suit my whims but the RG is really a nice bike. If you end up getting it let me know if you need a fender eliminator. You can't get them any more but I can make you one like I did for myself and Suzukiltd. It's something I do for us Dry Drivers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very sweet bikes!! (My personal favorites) I don't know what kind of shape its in, but personally i'd look at the body, original paint and tank. If their in good shape and the motors not a total pig, I'd snatch it up!
Elbow grease seems to be a bit more plentiful than the limited original painted body parts !

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yep, I forgot about my thrust bearing going out. Talk about a scary noise. The bike is a piece of history and quite unique. If you can deal with the maintence then get it.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The Plates need to be stock but I am trying some EBC plates in my wifes and they seem to be holding up okay (but she only rode it 500mi last season) Also check around the cable adjusting mount in the cover for cracks and also around the four mount holes in the outer section. All the bolts need to be tightened to spec. the Mag will crack if overtightened. And keep the adjustor lubed with antiseize. The only bike I like more than the 86 LTD is the 89 750RR.
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
The Plates need to be stock but I am trying some EBC plates in my wifes and they seem to be holding up okay (but she only rode it 500mi last season) Also check around the cable adjusting mount in the cover for cracks and also around the four mount holes in the outer section. All the bolts need to be tightened to spec. the Mag will crack if overtightened. And keep the adjustor lubed with antiseize. The only bike I like more than the 86 LTD is the 89 750RR.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bones is right about the cover...new ones are still availible for $620 from Suzuki, They're magnesium.

I tried the EBC plates too and had the same sticking occur.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts