Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kind of a weird situation....my buddy totaled my bike the first day i had it registered after taking it off for the winter. I recieved the check for it yesterday and am confused on what to do. I don't want to buy a new one and i only have 5200 to spend. My buddy has a slavaged title bike that he is selling but i know for a fact that everything is fixed etc...but i helped him and saw the work being done and what not. SO my question is , is it worth buying it and pcketing like a thousand dollars or should i shop around and wait for a good deal?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
depends.....

If you want any resale value then stay away from it, they can be hard to sell, as there is a certain stigma attached to a salvage title.

If you can get it cleaned - some state allow this after an inspection - for a small sum, then you have nothing to worry about.

$5200 gets you a lot of bike at the moment, if that is in "green folding"

I'd shop around a bit before jumping at the first thing you see.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
what yr model size it is that really is the answer to that question i wouldn't pay more than 3500 for a 750 salvage.i would buy one but if i was keeping it for a while okay maybe 3750 most,but its up to you as the buyer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
NEVER LET YOUR FRIENDS RIDE YOUR BIKE!!! UNLESS THEY PUT THE REPLACEMENT VALUE OF CASH IN YOUR HAND... I had the same experience... My buddy borrowed my brand new 96 ZX6-R that was all set up... His brother took it for a spin and T boned a car!!! So my buddy replaced it with a brand new 98 GSXR 600 in 1998 the zx6-r was purchaced in 97 as a leftover... It all worked out fine but I was without a bike for a good three months...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
slittle26 love the pic with the guy in the car

also about the ? it just depends. i could have bought a 99 salvage title zx-7r but decide not to because of resale value

·
Registered
514 Posts
Salvage bikes are hard to sell... I know I tried. I'd get it if I intended to put it on the track or make it to some weird 600/hayabusa project er soemthing. If I wrecked a friends bike, I'd pay back my bud, but I dunno what I'd do after my friend got the insurance check... maybe help him shop, buy him a slip on? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey fast one, I can send ya that pic of the guy in the car if ya like...I thought it was pretty cool myself!! Peace!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys i decided against it and i picked up a mint 99 600' yesterday afternoon for 5500, thanks again `Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts