Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new to the forum here, and i just got my first bike, ive been riding for about a year and im glad i finally get to have one of my own, andyways its a 1997 Gsx-r 600 with a yoshi rs-3 slip on, i just wanna know if theres anything you guys could tell me about my bike that i need to know as well as any good tips and what i should and shouldnt do to my bike
Thanx!

·
Registered
645 Posts
start simple. Try a K&N filter, Stage 1 or 2 jetkit and retune the carbs to your Yoshi can, and maybe throw in an ignition advance rotor.. steel braided brake lines are a must to me. Although I don't have them, they're a high priority when I can budget for them. That should get you up a few ponies to hang with the newer 600's, or even be a little faster.

·
Registered
735 Posts
welcome to the board!! I agree, get a jet kit, you might need to get this professionaly done if your not sure about what your doing. I would also suggest getting a service manual for your bike. There's a guy on here who sells them cheap! his name is chococholo or something like that. I bought mine from him. You should be able to find it in the for sale section. Do a search for service manual under the for sale area.
I would also suggest different brake pads. These things can make a ton of difference when you really need to stop. Other than that, learn how to REALLY ride that thing.....people are crazy out there and don't give a rip about motorcyclists.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Welcome ...
Not to say all the above advice isn't good..IMHO..I would learn how to ride your bike, before going off the deep end replacing, or adding goodies to it..
When I say learn to ride it..I mean so that your skilled in all aspects of riding, so that you can survive panic situations, take a good riding school course, invest the $$ in the best gear ya can, if you haven't already..do things to your bike that upgrade it's braking performance, such as the steel braided lines, better brake pads..also think about doing the suspension, which will make it handel LOTS better..these up grades won't make the bike faster, but will make YOU faster, and a better rider..This may not have been what ya wanted to hear..but in the long run..investing in your riding skillz will do more than any HP parts ya can buy..IMHO..once again..this is not meant to flame anyone, just a friendly suggestion..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Hammer brings a really good point... It is like a friend that Hammer and I ride with. Eveytime I do something to my bike he has to do it to his. Now his bike is to the point were it can do WAY more then he can, and all the does it make it harder for him to learn how to ride it.

It is fun to make the bike have all kinds of power, but it doesnt always pay off.... Hammer is the type of person that truely feels it is better to learn the bike then have fun with it... I was the other way around. For me I lucked out (I think it was cause I have been on dirtbikes my whole life), but most people dont end up so lucky.

John

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
I agree with the modest approach... I learned to ride on a Katana 750. After it was stolen I bought a gixxer. I have logged 20,000 Miles between the two of them and I am finding that my skills are way better than before(as expected) but now I feel comfortable in doing other things to my bike, and confident that I can handle it.

Congratulations on purchasing one of the best motorcyles ever produced. It is an excellent piece of machinery and I hope you have fun with it.

One final note... DON'T IGNORE OR NEGLECT PREVENTITIVE MAINTENANCE... ie. oil changes, chain lubing, sprocket replacement... etc. Pay attention to these things and you will be able to enjoy all of the fun that is known as GSX-R

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
Oh yeah.... one more thing... don't be lured into riding outside your ability... I live in Atlanta and we have lost 3 riders already and the season has just started.

Ride Right

·
Registered
735 Posts
Originally posted by OneFastGSXR:
HEY CAN U PUT IN A JET KIT FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE MANUAL YOU BOUGHT???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can put them easily ON the manual, but if your really asking if I can put them IN USING the manual, I'd say yes. I have never done it though, because I have a FI bike. I have removed jets and things from a carb bike, but that's different than getting the right set up after getting new jets.

·
Registered
645 Posts
start simple. Try a K&N filter, Stage 1 or 2 jetkit and retune the carbs to your Yoshi can, and maybe throw in an ignition advance rotor.. steel braided brake lines are a must to me. Although I don't have them, they're a high priority when I can budget for them. That should get you up a few ponies to hang with the newer 600's, or even be a little faster.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
dOOd fuck that k&n filter and jet kit..you have a slip on you dont need to mess with that stuff unless you have a full exhaust system..
do the maintenance..have your valves adjusted by a tune shop(not the dealer)..if you have the miles on the bike to warrent a valve adjustment..

man dont change the jets....no no no..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well all i know is that its got 9800 miles on it, so what is some routine maintainence i should do?

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by EvilS14:
well all i know is that its got 9800 miles on it, so what is some routine maintainence i should do?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">do you know what the last maint. the previous owner did.? If not, then I'd get the valves adjusted, do a oil change, with a new filter..new spark plugs..lube, and adjust all the cables, and clean and lube, and adjust the chain if nessesarry..clean the air filter..check the air pressure in the tires..tighten all fasteners..
Did you get an owners manual with the bike..?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yeah, usually when I get used stuff the first thing I do is take it apart and see what's missing
- get together a list of bolts and things that need replacing. While it's in getting the valves done, have them (or someone else who had a bike you know) check the chain and if need be, adjust it or replace it. As Hammer said check fluids and check your brake pads too. Another service often overlooked is having your coolant flushed, it's not usually a life or death thing (unless you're REALLY overheating badly) but it's not a bad idea, and not that difficult, manual says to do it every 2 years (I beleive thats the same frequency that you're supposed to do the brake fluid as well) Good luck!

- G

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I just HAPPEN to have a 1997 users guide here.. and here goes -

This is the 7.5K mile service

Inspect air cleaner (wait on replacing this until you are ready for the jet kit and k&n unless it's REAL dirty)

Tighten exhaust bolts

inspect valve clearance (a shop can do this)

replace spark plugs

inspect fuel hose (replace every 4 years)

replace engine oil (doesn't say to do the filter until the 11k mile service.. but you might as well do it)

inspect idle speed

inspect throttle cable play (.5-1.0mm I think)

inspect carb. synchronization (shop)

replace engine coolant every 2 years (you can do it, but disposing of old glycol is no fun)

inspect radiator hoses (cracks, dry rot, etc.)

inspect clutch (slippage, adjustment can be done at the shop, or if you get a shop manual you can do it)

inspect drive chain (rust, flexibility, lubed, within limits - fully tensioned 21 rivets should be within 319.4 mm)

inspect brakes (pads, if you can see the groove in the middle, you're within limits)

inspect brake hose (replace every 4 years)

insepct brake fluid (replace every 2 years)

inspect tires (tread)

inspect steering (slop in the head I'd assume)

inspect forks (inner tubes, if there's a dirty
ring around one of them, thats a precursor to fork seal failure..)

Inspect the rear suspension

and tighten all the chassis bolts..

that should keep you busy for a while

if you've got any questions about this stuff feel free to ask, people on this site are awesome, and I've got the OEM shop manual right next to my computer

(just don't ask me to scan it, I'm a lazy SOB
)

- G

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
OUr bikes [SRAD's] are very sensitive to aftermarket air filters + Pipe, and so, i would suggest rejetting + dyno-tuning

Also, gear down by going 3+ teeth on the rear, and if the chain is worn, do a 520 conversion.

KaTz

[ 05-09-2002, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: KaTz ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by spongebob:
dOOd fuck that k&n filter and jet kit..you have a slip on you dont need to mess with that stuff unless you have a full exhaust system..
do the maintenance..have your valves adjusted by a tune shop(not the dealer)..if you have the miles on the bike to warrent a valve adjustment..

man dont change the jets....no no no..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Even a stock bike can run better from a jet kit. Then if you add a slip on.. You are going to make the bike run lean.

DO YOU HAVE TO JET THE BIKE? No. WOULD IT RUN BETTER? Yes.

You might not make more power, but you should see a change in how SMOOTH the power turns on..

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanx for the advice guys, now i got one more question, how do you wash your bike and keep it clean?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by EvilS14:
thanx for the advice guys, now i got one more question, how do you wash your bike and keep it clean?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Simple Green and a hose...

John

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
I for one..never, ever wash my bike with water..not that it will harm it..I'm just weird that way..I guess..
Plexus..will clean anything, even them dried on bugs on the windscreen..rims, helemet, and shield..plus it makes everythink shin sooooooo nice..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts