Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My immediate thought is the CCT. I hear a click coming from the upper portion of my engine during warmup. Once I'm warm, the noise is gone.

Is this a sign of CCT failure (ie. starts out clicking when cold, then worsens)?

Also, though I don't know how this could be related, I've noticed that my idle now fluctuates between 1.4K (where it should be) and 2K. It'll stay up there for a while, then after a few minutes go back down, then back up, etc. Totally random, it seems. Curious of this since it started happening around the same time as the cold click. One other new varibale to consider in all of this is the colder weather in Toronto; it's gotten much colder lately.

Any advice? Thanx everyone

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS- had the bike out for about 2 hrs tonight. No click and no high idle! Just comes & goes.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
My bike's had that symptom since day one. [aka, CCT rattle upon COLD start up, and goes away after the engine warms up].

BUT my idle is fine, always has been.
My suggestion is to get the carbs balanced, or if it's due, a valve adjustment [24 000kms intervals].

Back to the CCT. PPl on this forum suggest replacing it for a manual CCT [as u may know] for the sake of reassurance.

My view, for my bike, is that if the rattle gets worst, ill sort it out right away. But if it's not, then it's more likely the characteristic GSXR warm-up-from-cold ritual

Note: The opinion above is purely my own and has no merit compare with Jeff or GSXR-FREAK

KaTz

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Katz. I'm not the original owner and the previous one tells me that the CCT was replaced with a manual. So I'll go with your train of thought and take note of whether or not it ever gets louder.

I upped my idle a little, purely due to personal preference. I couldn't figure out why it was hitting 2K today while waiting at a traffic light. Sure enough though, I'm about two weeks away from hitting 24,000 km's so I'll be checking the valves soon. Thanx for the tip.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
just sounds as though the oil is thick when cold so it isnt getting up to the cam so its noisy
whats the oil like ?does it need chamging?
i'd suggest some fresh oil
as for the idle

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil was changed about a month ago (Motul semi-synthetic). I'll look to finish up this season and get serviced at the start of next season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts