Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to sharpen the AHRMA sword this winter. HP is certainly high on the list (considering the competition) so in addition to a curved (92) cooler I was thinking this might fit nicely in the lower "V". After reading up, it sounds like keeping the oil in the coolers is key. So my thought was to feed this first through a "check valve" then out to the curved.
Anything else I need to consider?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The normal way is to use the extra cooler as a head cooler - like the GSXR750RK had, linking the feed from top of cases, behind the barrels, to the new cooler and from there back to the cam cover - this reduces oil temperature before it goes to the hottest part of the engine. Extra cooling on hard used o/c engines is always helpful.
Even altering the fairing spacing around the engine can help cooling too, just to help airflow around the engine. I think the Yoshimura bikes even used two curved coolers sandwiched together. as well as a head cooler and another cooler at the rear ! - but they were at the extreme end of performance though.
Good luck for next season.

·
Ghostrider
4,384 Posts
that´s was the oem head cooler setup on the 89 RK , and my suggestion it´s to keep this style. if you need more information about the lines used can mesure it for you , as i have an extra set

Attachments

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I like the shape of that one. I think a cooler mounted in the nose would see more airflow but as an aux cooler this should be fine. I'm planning on adding a (nose mounted) head cooler myself, using an Earls cooler, fittings from Torques UK and custom lines.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I check for some 750RK auxiliary oil lines on various sites, you know where the seller doesn't realise what they've got and only wants small change for them !! - been 2 years now . . . . the originals look neater than the big after market ones, I like subtle.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I gather, the head should be fed with the "coolest" oil. So if I do separate with custom lines, am I correct in assuming the Larger curved cooler should be routed to the head and the smaller cooler fed from the main lines on the bottom of the motor?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have done this setup wiith an oilcooler shown on top (GSXR 1000 -09) . I have routed the oil lines as a head oil cooler similar to the GSXR 750 RK. It is more efficient than an oil cooler in front of the top fairing. But it would not fit with some of the Yoshimura exhaust systems.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
From what I gather, the head should be fed with the "coolest" oil. So if I do separate with custom lines, am I correct in assuming the Larger curved cooler should be routed to the head and the smaller cooler fed from the main lines on the bottom of the motor?
I think the temperature delivered to the head wouldn't be very different - if you use a small cooler as the 'normal' cooler, the sump oil will be hotter - then the oil pump will pump the hotter oil to the larger head cooler, which will lower the temperature. I think the total amount of cooling will be the same, so although a larger head cooler might lower the oil temp., the oil would be of a higher temp. to start off with. Using cooler sump oil provided by the curved oil cooler would be better for the high pressure oil pumped to bearing shells etc - the most critical areas.
As long as you up the total cooling, it'll help all areas - a head cooler helps maintain power when the engine is used hard, that was the main reason.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I'm using an Earls oil cooler in the nose of my 7/1216 to keep it cool. The cool down laps used to be sketchy as it would start bogging at low RPMs because of heat. I did a cut out down low then use a plastic scoop shaped like a wave before it starts to cool to get the air to roll. Also don't need to use a screen as it sits just above the opening. Seems to help with the heat issue in August at Savannah.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts