Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my stock rear wheel with a 5.5 rear from an early 90's Gixxer.

Hopefully someone can tell me the do's and dont's of this.

Will the bearings and cush's from the org. wheel work with the replacement wheel?

Should I go with new bearings?

Will the rotor and brake mounts match up on the 90's wheel?

Also, what is the max width tire I can fit on the repl. wheel, without cupping it?
I know the stock mount is 180.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Originally posted by 89-1100:
I'm thinking of replacing my stock rear wheel with a 5.5 rear from an early 90's Gixxer.

Hopefully someone can tell me the do's and dont's of this.

Will the bearings and cush's from the org. wheel work with the replacement wheel?

Should I go with new bearings?

Will the rotor and brake mounts match up on the 90's wheel?

Also, what is the max width tire I can fit on the repl. wheel, without cupping it?
I know the stock mount is 180.

Thanks for the input!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the 5.5 wheel will go right on your bike without any major fabrication...i think the cush drive and all of that is the same...i would go with new bearings/centerspan/seals just for the sake of knowing it's all new stuff in the wheel...the max tire you can go with without cupping the tire would be a 190...a 200 would cup alittle...the brake rotors will bolt up but i don't know if they are the same diameter(i think they are?)...

dwayne

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Not all tires are created equal... it's entirely possible that one specific model from one manufacturer may say "190-xx-xx" on it and fit just fine, while another tire interferes. The Dunlop 207ZR in the 180-55-17 that I have on my `89 (with a 5.5" rear from a newer gixxer) just *barely* clears, and it did *not* fit inside the hugger fender til I trimmed it. Most manufacturers list "recommended wheel size" for specific tires, and most 190's list the 6" wheel as "recommended size".

New wheel bearings are *never* a bad idea; just expensive. (ie. if you got the $, do it.)

On my wheel-swap, I used the sprocket carrier that came with the 5.5" wheel as it was a tad "shorter" and allowed me to keep the wheel centered and the chain straight. I used a combination of spacers and 19mm flatwashers to get everything in the right place. The brake-carrier and rotor were identical to the 4.5" wheel that came on my `89. This is a really easy upgrade to do, just make sure and allow yourself enough time to double-check the alignment of everything, and don't be afraid to mix-and-match spacers and so on to get everything right. Pay careful attention to the wheel alignment as well as chain and brake-rotor and brake arm. I took about 4 hours start-to-finish after I got the new wheel painted and ready.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.everyone, very informative.

Fast Cat: Do you have any pics of your hugger?
I was concerned about the clearance as well and when you mentioned you had to trim yours, it reminded me!
I'm considering ordering a hugger for a 90's 11, but the price, I'm sure, is prohibitive.

I've never yanked the rear wheel on a bike before and was curious as to the learning curve on this. Fairly straight forward for someone who has not done it before?

Thanks again for all the info, very much appreciated. I'm sure it will help me resurrect my rebuild project even faster.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Yup, there's some pics on my site at http://home.attbi.com/~msbhavior/minormods.html ...I want to get a newer hugger that fits properly, although I understand that some people just ditch the thing... I'm kinda anal about keeping the bike clean, so I kept mine even if it does wobble a little bit now. It doesn't bang around enough to hurt anything back there. My brake-arm was rubbing the tire *ever* so lightly, so I took that off and put a small bend in it to give it some more clearance... YMMV on that one... some people say they didn't hafta bend it at all.

As for the rear-wheel removal thing, Be sure to loosen up the adjusters on the chain to give you plenty of free-play to work with, and you'll wish you had a third arm when you go to put everything in place because you hafta hold all the spacers in place and the wheel and slide the axle all at the same time... it can be done alone, but it's always nice to have a friend to help. Not rocket science at all, just take your time and *look* at everything and think about how it all fits together... the only time I ever goofed anything up back there was when I was in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
be careful if you are thinking of putting a 90 hugger on because the fittings are different. Well they were on the original item that someone sent me once.

Andy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Andy James:
be careful if you are thinking of putting a 90 hugger on because the fittings are different. Well they were on the original item that someone sent me once.

Andy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Andy,

Did you actually mount the `90 hugger on your K? If so, how much of a hassle was it to get it to work?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy, thanks for the heads up. If you got it mounted, would you happen to have any pics?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts