Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, my 2017 GSXR-1000R has developed a problem with the ABS (hopefully just a bad sensor): at start, the ABS light is on and should normally go away after the bike hits 6mph. But lately, the light has several times stayed on. If I switch the bike off then back on, sometimes it resolves itself (after hitting 6mph). But today, the light obstinately stays on, no matter what.

I looked at p. 4E-22 of the service manual. It says that a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) should be recorded, and there is a procedure to get it to show up as flashing in a certain pattern on the ABS light. All good. Except it mentions a "special tool 09930-82760" that needs to be connected at a coupler under the rear seat.

From the look of it, I thought it would be a simple switch (there are only two wires at that coupler, and there is definitely a switch on that "special tool"). So I made one, and followed the procedure. Nada. No code. The darn light just stays lit.

Question: is there something subtle involved in the "special tool"? A resistor in it? A unique cryptographic key?... (just kidding).

·
Registered
17 Posts
There was a service campaign last year to replace the IMU on 1000R to fix the very symptoms you’re describing. I had mine fixed and no more problems.

Search this site for “imu recall” and you’ll find more info. Maybe call your dealer.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a service campaign last year to replace the IMU on 1000R to fix the very symptoms you’re describing. I had mine fixed and no more problems.

Search this site for “imu recall” and you’ll find more info. Maybe call your dealer.
You are right on. I contacted the dealer and, indeed, there is a recall for the IMU. I remembered having done a recall last July but that was for something else (a fuel pump O-ring). So now I'm scheduled for an IMU service recall. (I wonder why I didn't receive the recall notice at home, but whatever). Thank you so much for the info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, just to circle back on this: I called a nearby dealer who kindly did the recall for this IMU. That's not the first he's done and was familiar with the problem.

And now that the IMU has been replaced, no more problem whatsoever. Light goes off exactly when hitting 6mph, as per the service shop manual.

Thanks again @ti-6-4 !

·
Registered
17 Posts
BTW, just to circle back on this: I called a nearby dealer who kindly did the recall for this IMU. That's not the first he's done and was familiar with the problem.

And now that the IMU has been replaced, no more problem whatsoever. Light goes off exactly when hitting 6mph, as per the service shop manual.

Thanks again @ti-6-4 !
Happy to help.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
here is the updated part number - make sure you get the RX0 on the part because that is the recall replacement
55750-17K20-RX0

jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
I received a post card from Suzuki over the weekend stating the recall of the IMU. Will be scheduling a time to get it to the dealer and replaced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts