Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

About to buy my first GSXR 600, however.. is this exhaust fake?

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  8you4t 
#1 ·
Hey. I've been looking into getting a Gixxer for a while and came across this amazing GSXR 600 from -07. Everything about it is pretty good, however it has run 40.000 km's (about 25.000 miles), which is more than any of my other bikes that I've bought. Taking a further look into the pictures that the seller has sent me, I tried to look up the exhaust that comes with the bike. However, I simply cannot find the exhaust anywhere. From the pictures it looks like a Yoshimura pipe. Is this exhaust fake copy, or whats the deal? Seller is also suggesting 42.000 SEK for the bike which is around 4200 euros. Opinions on the price?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks,
/D

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, that doesn't look like a real Yoshimura. All the Yoshimura's I've had with a strap around the can, have the Yoshimura logo on the strap itself; I can't see that on the picture. I've also never seen any Yoshimura with a logo on the end like that, and it just doesn't look like one.

Even if it is actually a Yoshimura, that particular one was not meant for the 06-07 GSXR 600.

#9 ·
Turns out you're right. I had to post this even on a Facebook forum to get my answers, and as I thought, the exhaust is not a Yoshi, but a Dan Moto. After having multiple people say it looks like a Dan Moto pipe, I confronted the seller and she told me the truth. That sucks big time, going from an exhaust valued around $300-1000 to $165 🤣

Now, the question is.. what is this bike worth? The fact that the pipe is cheap makes it easier to haggle on the price. I absolutely LOVE the look of it. I would say that the K8's look a bit more sharp, but the color combination that you get on this K7 is absolutetly amazing. As I mentioned earlier, 2007, 40.000 km's / 25.000 miles. The bike has been sitting for the last 1.5 years, and the owner has barely ridden it the past 4-5 years. In other words, the milage was put on the bike pre 2016. Let me know what you guys think. She's asking 42.000 SEK for the bike (4200 € euros, ~ $ 5000). The market in Sweden today is very hot and bikes are selling faster than ever, so prices are higher than they've ever been. Also, this would be my first super-sport and bike that exceeds 100 horses.

#6 ·
Unless something is hidden, the muffler is only supported by a clamp near its front. That's a structurally inferior cantilever design that is going to put a big stress on the muffler during bumps. There were some Yoshimura mufflers with a "similar" design but the midpipe was welded to the front of the muffler instead of the slip joint with springs that I see. Another clamp further back on the canister is needed. You're asking for failure without it.

In a quick look I couldn't find a Yosh muffler with a round carbon canister but I'm not at the computer where I have more detailed info (including pn's for the welded front mufflers). So it looks iffy, but I'm not 100% sure. The closest I can find is the RS3, which is oval. You could try searching Yoshimura Japan.

#7 ·
?

From the first pic, they've removed the rear foot rests, yet it has the rear seat on it LOL..
That's usually where the muffler attaches, not way up there.

AND- IMHO- it shouldn't be shooting flames! That's for squids
I'm sure they're hoping you'll think that is REALLY cool.
Maybe you do

#8 ·
It could be, but that can looks kind of cheap and the shape doesn't match the shapes they use. The mounting is just because of the rear peg delete, not that it makes it much better.

#13 ·
I misspoke, she contacted the owner that had the bike before her and he confirmed that it was a Dan Moto exhaust. Apparently he lied to her about the exhaust, and she thought it was a Yoshi all along. But idk.

Obviously the rear dome is missing?

Why else would you take the rear peg mounts off, and leave the passenger seat on? LOL

I guess I'm in the reverse of that scenario. I usually always have the rear dome on, yet have not, (and probably never will) take off my rear peg supports.

So it's a she? Was she good on proper maintenance?

And what kind of mentality puts a Yoshi emblem plate on a off brand muffler? Like no one would notice?
She should have put BMW s1000rr emblems on it. No on would have noticed LOL
What do you mean by rear dome? As I mentioned earlier, she has barely ridden the bike during these 4.5 years that she's owned it. Maintenance should be OK, was last seviced a couple of weeks ago and I'll check through all the paperwork once I check the bike out in person.

If by rear dome you're referring to the seat cowl, that one is included as well.

#12 ·
Obviously the rear dome is missing?

Why else would you take the rear peg mounts off, and leave the passenger seat on? LOL

I guess I'm in the reverse of that scenario. I usually always have the rear dome on, yet have not, (and probably never will) take off my rear peg supports.

So it's a she? Was she good on proper maintenance?

And what kind of mentality puts a Yoshi emblem plate on a off brand muffler? Like no one would notice?
She should have put BMW s1000rr emblems on it. No on would have noticed LOL

#17 ·
"a Dan Moto exhaust"
The previous owner has taken the time and effort to buy a Yoshimura emblem and drill/pop-rivet it to the muffler. That's clearly an attempt to deceive. The angle of the license plate in the second pic looks awfully steep. Is that legal?

#20 ·
In Europe I get my bikes via search engine that collects different websites :

Got it from Germany twice, set search range to 800 kilometers and wait a few months, beware of scammers!
Really watch out for nice pictures and low price , I started to recognize pictures so somebody is constantly databaseing pictures for scam sales.

40k was not in my search, i got one with 4800 km, and the seller scamming a fake exhoust, that is counterfeit/theft, or just normal.

#24 ·
This is true ...
I will also use what’s been fitted to a bike as an indicator of what the previous owner was like eg cheap and nasty.
If someone’s willing to pay for quality parts they normally will pay to keep a bike serviced properly.

#25 ·
Okay, enough trash talking this bike. I get that the expectations of a perfectionist does not apply to this bike. "It has a passanger seat but no footpegs and a counterfeit exhaust", I get it. However I will be seeing this bike in person tonight, I want to see what it's all about. The market here is very hot for supersports, and gixxers are nowhere to be found as we speak in my country. The price for this bike is very good in my opinion, and with some potential haggling, I'll probably buy it. 2-3 days ago, an identical bike with the same milage went for around 52.000 SEK ($6200), where this bike is out for 42.000. I'll try to buy it for 35-38K is my plan, which is around $4500.

Once I'm seeing it in person I'll see how it's been serviced and if things like the valve clearances have been done/checked. Is there anything else regarding its maintanence that I should look out for? In my opinion, a cheap exhaust with a Yoshi logo is not a big deal, but what do I know.

#26 ·
You’ve asked our opinion ... it’s not trash talking.

Iv owned over 50 bikes (currently own 10) this information is priceless ... and can save you from much disappointment and expense.

Listen to what members are saying ... if you fit cheap shit to a bike there can be little doubt that money has been saved elsewhere 👍

Reactions: RRP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.