Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ive seen it on here before but isn't there something on the inside of the clutch yall said had to be adjusted? if not i will burn out fast? or can someone point me to that thread about it? thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks....... being out of over 100 look ins your the only one who helped me.....thanks.....i guess thats it just saw while back on here bout something had to be adjusted right when u get it.......thanks again!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
According to every dealer I talk to, this is one of the new bike rumors, that is said to be untrue about people frying clutches after 200 miles. These were adjusted at the factory, and need not to be adjusted until the 4K mile mark.

·
Registered
595 Posts
According to every dealer I talk to, this is one of the new bike rumors, that is said to be untrue about people frying clutches after 200 miles. These were adjusted at the factory, and need not to be adjusted until the 4K mile mark.
Can't you adjust the "Back-Torque Limiting Clutch" (AKA slipper clutch?) There is no documentation on this. I picked up an 05 recently and when I downshift from high speeds, my rear tire still chatters just as a regular clutch would. I looked through the owners manual/service manual but didn't find any info. Isn't the above picture to adjust clutch cable play only? Has anyone attempted to adjust the 'slipper' clutch on their 05? If so, how did you do it?? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
U dont really want to mess with the back torque limiter quite yet.

And to whoever said that their dealer told them the worm gear doesnt need to be adjusted, its a rumour, and it doesnt need to be done till 4k??

D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the info thats what i needed to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
You are absolutely right

Straigth from the crate the slipper clutch WON'T work. It hasn't been adjusted to work in stock trim like the ZX10s.
Why ? To avoid claims about worn out clutches.
But it can be adjusted to work. What I heard from my suspension guy (former MV development pilot and endurance rider), who tested the Gixxer in Eatern Creek, it doesn't work in stock trim. Contrary what some of the other journos believed.
He told me what needs to be done and will do it together with my suspension. One of the things is removing some of the diaphragma springs as they are to strong together and moving the rods pushing the clutch open.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
You are absolutely right

Straigth from the crate the slipper clutch WON'T work. It hasn't been adjusted to work in stock trim like the ZX10s.
But it can be adjusted to work. What I heard from my suspension guy (former MV development pilot and endurance rider), who tested the Gixxer in Eatern Creek, it doesn't work in stock trim. Contrary what some of the other journos believed.
He told me what needs to be done and will do it together with my suspension. One of the things is removing some of the diaphragma springs as they are to strong together and moving the rods pushing the clutch open.

I was told that it needs to be broken in a little and you will feel the effects more. I can feel it to some degree. Bear in mind, it's a back-torque "limiting" not back-torque "eliminating".

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
You are absolutely right

Well I'm not so sure about your statement

I got the K5 delivered to me in the crate. Nobody laid their hands on it before me.

I adjusted the clutch only and my slipper clutch works wonderful

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Did any of u guys read what i posted out of the updated book, importantly the 2 stamtents at the bottom of the page???

D

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
You are absolutely right

You sir are completely incorrect. I am in the USA and my bikes slipper clutch was not adjusted or even checked during the initial setup. My Slipper clutch works perfectly.

The factory ships the bikes already to go and nothing needs to be adjusted except for the basic cable adjustments and some minor assembly of the bike. The other things that should be done is "inspection" to make sure everything is up to spec including the slipper clutch, per Suzuki Technical Guide that was released to all the dealers prior to receiving the K5.

Don't post information if you don't have the facts.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
You are absolutely right

You sir are completely incorrect. I am in the USA and my bikes slipper clutch was not adjusted or even checked during the initial setup. My Slipper clutch works perfectly.

The factory ships the bikes already to go and nothing needs to be adjusted except for the basic cable adjustments and some minor assembly of the bike. The other things that should be done is "inspection" to make sure everything is up to spec including the slipper clutch, per Suzuki Technical Guide that was released to all the dealers prior to receiving the K5.

Don't post information if you don't have the facts.

.............and You Sir are absolutely correct

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just recently went to the 05 Suzuki update school and they said to check all the new K5 1000's for proper clutch adjustment. They have come from the factory with anything from 1/4 turn out to 3/4 turns out. We check and adjust all the K5 clutches at setup. We also saw one that was missing the SET servo-motor mounting bracket and hardware.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anybody here remember a few weeks ago when that "Suzuki rep" went off on me for suggesting that the slipper was coming from the factory possibly set up wrong??? Made all kinds of comments about how I dont know what I`m talking about cause I`m some dumb kid (I`ve been a Honda/Acura mechanic for 20 years).

Whoever that guy was, he`s a ass.

See above post.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
I just recently went to the 05 Suzuki update school and they said to check all the new K5 1000's for proper clutch adjustment. They have come from the factory with anything from 1/4 turn out to 3/4 turns out. We check and adjust all the K5 clutches at setup. We also saw one that was missing the SET servo-motor mounting bracket and hardware.
That's why it needs to be checked by a service tech after set up. But the factory is suppose too initially set it up correctly and they usually do. Not 100% of all the bikes will be right on and if there is no QC on the assembly line then they should be checked at some point. So Suzuki sent the memo out to inspect it but not necessarily adjust it if it was properly adjusted. Mine was ok. I will check it again at my next oil change.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree its no big deal if its done during prep.

BTW, you cant inspect the pin adjustment on the clutch housing itself without actually doing the adjustment, same witht the worm gear adjustment.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree its no big deal if its done during prep.

BTW, you cant inspect the pin adjustment on the clutch housing itself without actually doing the adjustment, same witht the worm gear adjustment.
Not sure if anything was inspected on mine, picked it up w/ 0 miles and the dealership isn't well known for their service excellence.

How do (can) you inspect w/o adjusting?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts