Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to gear my 07 GSXR 1000 but i don't want to gear so much that everytime i get on the gas the front end comes up on me but i would like a little more acc.. So Should just go -1 or should gear it more than that?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
you can also try +2 in the rear, i went that route, and i am still waiting to see how it affects the bike cause it is winter :sad , remember you can allways add the -1 or +2 later if you want more, hope that helps :cheers

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
for a moderate gearing change that you will actually feel, go with either -1 up front or +2 in the rear. i would suggest a -1 up front personally.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
for a moderate gearing change that you will actually feel, go with either -1 up front or +2 in the rear. i would suggest a -1 up front personally.
Agreed, I went +2 (because everyone said the -1, +2 was sooo drastic and this was my first gear change on my Gixxer). I was disappointed, I rode it for a year, just recently added the -1 and am now kicking myself in the ass for not doing it sooner.

It depends on your throttle control, I can go wide open in 1rst and keep the front end down, or power wheelie in the first 3 gears, although it is winter time and I havent really had too many opportunities to play...

It is nice being able to bring the front wheel up in 2nd without being abrupt with the throttle or using the clutch, just twist and shes up smooth and predictable.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I like my -1. I would try that first, it's cheap, & it's easy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have tried both -1 and +2 and it was drastic, but fun as hell. Now I'm riding +2 and I still have a good time but I'm not redlining going down the hwy. I sugest one or the other but not both. If you stick with the 530 a new front sprocket is only 20-25 bucks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have the -1 sitting in the garage for about a month now. Plan on having it put on soon, like the earlier post said the front is cheap. got my front sprocket from cycle gear for like 20 bucks so I'm gonna try that first.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I still have a good time but I'm not redlining going down the hwy.

Holy Sh!t, how fast do you cruise? My gear changes only increased my rpm at any given speed a few hundred rpm's...

I havent been able to use my bike as a daily driver since I added the -1 to my +2 so I dont have a feeling for what my gas mileage difference is, but as far as I can tell it isnt that different...

Im willing to accept a slightly higher cruise rpm and less fuel mileage for the great increase in acceleration and the fun factor of pulling effortless predictable power wheelies in 2nd. I'm going to ride it for a year and go from there.:cheers

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
If you don't want to do a full chain kit then do a -1 530 in the front (16t that would be). If you're going to do a full chain kit and don't want anything too drastic on a 1000cc bike then I would recommend a +2 in the rear as it's still noticeable and most who don't want a very drastic change like it. Better to do not enough gearing then too much...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
-1 gives you a little more wheelbase=less wheelies.+2 in rear is shorter wheelbase ,more wheelies
The difference in wheelbase on -1 over stock is no more than a few mm. -1 at the front will definitely and easily overcome the additional leverage required and fire the wheel up in the first three like a cannon, if you want it to.

Yep, +2 at the rear shortens the wb but, once again, by a microscopic amount. It's certainly not helping reduce wheelies, as you say but, the changes in wb aren't serious enough to factor in the discussion. It's the gearing changes that make the real difference.

Ken7

·
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Sta
3,415 Posts
i went -1 in the front and it wasnt that drastic. but i did feel a difference over the way to tall stock gearing

j

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Agreed, -1 not too drastic but enough to make the bike feel far more connected to the rear tire. No more vibey than before, either, at cruise rpms.

Ken7

·
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Sta
3,415 Posts
Agreed, -1 not too drastic but enough to make the bike feel far more connected to the rear tire. No more vibey than before, either, at cruise rpms.

Ken7
funny you say that ken. i know this dude on a 750 down the road that did a +2 in the rear and he swears the bike will loop and that he cant control how much faster it moves:lol

i told him it shouldnt make that much of a difference but a little

:biggrin freakin squids

j

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The 750's got shorter gearing than the 1000 already but, unless you go to the dragstrip alot and are trying to close up on WOT launches with the stock ride height and wheelbase, it's, as you say, all in the hand.

Frankly, I don't find the 07 1000 "uncontrollable" at all. It's the most benign superbike I've ever owned, despite being the most potent by a hell of alot.

Every bike I've ever owned was a superbike in its day, so, I don't exactly have alot of cruiser experience for measuring "benign" though. :)

Ken7

·
Registered
375 Posts
I need new sprockets and a chain, I was thinking about going -1 but not sure if it is for me. I like doing going up against my friends and their Busas. How much top end would I loose if I went -1?

BTW K7 1000

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
34 Participants
OneSickGSXR
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing