Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys. I recently purchased a 05 GSXR 600 and I now have a little over 300 miles on it, the book says do not go passed 7500 rpms for first 500 miles, i have not went passed that. Some people tell me not go worry about break in and do whatever I want, other say continue with the break in rules, all help greatly appreciated, thanks

jon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes tis true so maany theories

I recon if you break her in hard then she will be a strong motor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why do we all talk about this over and over? Just do what the bike manual book tells you to do. That's what I did with my Gixxer when I got it, followed the instructions in the manual.

Who do you trust more? some guys on a message boards, or a fucking official SUZUKI MANUAL?

Break the bike in properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well...on the topic of who do i trust more. In the manual it also says that you should be shifting into 6th gear at 37 mph. LOL yah right. I tried that and you are running at like 3000 or even less RPM. It damn near wants to stall out. Anyways, I did follow the break in requirements, but i pushed it right up to the 8000 rpm limit almost all the time. I guess do what you like for now. It wont make much of a difference until years down the road.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
listen, in short, the best way to break in a motor is to work the engine good from 2-4th gears. so basically, ease into 1st gear, then 2nd gear, open that bitch up, 3rd, 4th, when u get to 5th use the engine to decelerate, no the breaks, u wanna keep constant pressure in the engine. eventually just keep doing that as much as possible throughout the 600 miles vary speed, u dont need to even go over 100, but u wanna make sure u open the engine up a few good times b4 that 600 mark....engine should be nice n strong

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
keep her under 7500 when just driving around till the 600 mark, just remember to open her up a few times..normally the bike is broken in way b4 the 500 mile mark, but they wanna make sure =]

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll tell ya from my experience. Me and my g/f bought 05 750's together 'cuz our 04's got stolen, but she had her 04 way before I had gotten mine. She takes it really really easy, and it's rare she gets up to 10000 RPM's. I, however, broke in my bike riding like a bad out of hell. My bike rides smooth as hell, and brakes perfectly. I feel that it has way more power than hers. Her's just seems as though it's been ragged on or something, but it's not that at all. The dealership says it could be fouling out the spark plugs 'cuz she never opens it up to clean out the injection system. I take it out every now and then but it handles soo differently 'cuz it's lowered for her. Also, she hardly uses her front brakes (I know i've buster her chops about it over and over again) and her front brakes seem warped but the dealer says they're straight (he can't prove it unless he rides it, which I won't let him). So, long story short, two bikes bought at the same time, one ragged on from the beginning, one never ragged on, the one thats been ragged on ride way way better and my ass dyno says it has more power, I can just feel it.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Wow a 750 feels like it has more power than a 600!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been driving it for about 400 miles and i open it up every now and then but i let off @ 7500 and i cant go no faster than 80 @ that rpm, u know? So im just gonna start getting on then i guess

·
Registered
657 Posts
rings need to be seated at high rpms, rod and main bearings need to be seated at low rpms. constant mesh transmissions are made with such tight tolerances thay really don't mind either. race motors are usually broken in at high rpm, but they don't have to last long. the suzuki method is the safest method to ensure "proper performance" but not exactly the highest performance.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Go with Suzuki's recommended break-in period instructions.....you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Break it in gently and it will be a "gentle" bike.

If you want it to be a strong runner, don't go nuts for the forst 500 miles, but show it redline every now and then to get it used to it. Change oil at 500miles ( NON SYNTHEITC ) and then ride the piss out of it for 500 more miles. CHnage oil your good to go.

·
Roll over and play dead
849 Posts
Just ride like you gonna ride .if you break it, it's covered.. if you want to take it slow then do it. want to beat it up, do that. it's YOUR bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the manual is soooooo wrong, kick that bikes ass repeatedly, just make sure to change the oil more than they tell ya to. break it in slow and it will BE SLOW! I have several people who have tested this theory and all the wimps who putted along during break-in are a few ponies shy on the dyno, I even know of one friend who NEVER EVER redlined up to 4800 miles (scared) and his bike puffs a bit of blue smoke. Plus why not you have the factory warranty no?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts