Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '85 GSX-R 750 tonight. It was running fine when I took it around the block at the guy's house. We strapped it to a pick up and brought it home. Now the damn thing won't start!! It caught and then died on me. It sounded wierd when I got it started the first time, like the choke was still on. It died and then now it just won't start. It cranks over no problem and we got it push started once but it died after a while.

The gas tank is full, I've tried it on prime, on and reserve, choke on, off everything. Am I missing something here cos I'm getting really pissed off.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Open the gas cap and try to start...could be your breather is blocked.

Also, did you, for any reason, have the tank off? Its easy as hell to pinch a line when reinstalling.

Good luck, hope its something simple.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Drawing on my own similar experience you should
A) Check to make sure you aren't out of gas. (Been there done that) and
B) Replace the plugs (ditto)

My bike had the same symptoms once. I thought I had enough gas in the tank but was mistaken. By the time I figured that out I had wet fouled the plugs and had to spend another frustrating time sorting that out. Give it a try.. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sound advice from the posters above, I would also poke around some electrical spots.

1. Sidestand switch - there? Functional? Not there - effectively wired shut?
2. Kill switch? Wiring where the kill switch connects to the harness good?
3. Check spark plug wire connection to plugs.
4. Swap plugs.
5. Starter relay working?

Mark

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sound advice from the posters above, I would also poke around some electrical spots.

1. Sidestand switch - there? Functional? Not there - effectively wired shut?
2. Kill switch? Wiring where the kill switch connects to the harness good?
3. Check spark plug wire connection to plugs.
4. Swap plugs.
5. Starter relay working?

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to check the basics first...an engine needs 3 things to run, fuel,spark and compression. So crack a float bowl drain and make sure there is fuel in the bowls. Then get any old spark plug you have, remove a plug lead from a plug on your engine, stick the test plug in the cap and lay it on the valve cover and spin the engine over looking for a spark. We can assume you have enough compression for the engine to run since it did earlier(although it may be a tired old engine with less than optimal compression). No fuel in the bowls means pinched line or out of gas as suggested earlier, no spark means bad switches/ignition parts. If you have a spark and fuel, change the plugs. If it still fails to start then you'll need to clean the carbs, then proceed from there.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK! I finally got it going! The stupid fuel petcock is messed up so it only flows when its open. I don't know about you guys but mine is really really stiff. So stiff that I couldn't open it far enough with my fingers. I had to use pliers to turn it all the way. When its on reserve, nothing comes out. I had to take the tank off and play with the switch till gas started coming through the line.

Its always something stupid like that isn't it? does anyone know if I can get a better petcock. I don't know if mine is the factory one but I can barely reach it if I'm riding and there;s no way I could turn it. Can you get better ones aftermarket?

thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
mine was stock...I took it apart and cleaned alot of gunk out of it and then it was easier to turn.

Do you have a vacum line attatched to it? You should have or it won't flow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
an 85 cdn model does not have a vacuum line as the carbs are flatslides not cv's as to the fuel cock pingel makes a nice one but expensive are you can do what I did which is go to home depot get a water shut off for a fridge they are brass means you have to make a flat aluminum plate and drill and tap, then used a purolater 3/8 inline filter with a screen, the one with the clear bowl get at a car auto parts store, do not use a paper or cintered bronze filter they have tooo much restriction. The above combination means you will not have a reserve position but have used for the last 2 years and works just fine and it cost about $15.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts