Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change pads as usual, with the old pads out, clean caliper and check fluid level. (Don't run out or over fill brake fluid) pump brakes and push a caliper piston out a little,(one at a time) you may have to hold the other pistons.
Clean the brake dust off of the piston with the brake fluid you have in the bike, (or clean, correct Dot brake fluid)
Before you push the piston back in, put a couple drops of the brake fluid on the base of the piston and push it back in and do the rest of pistons the same way. This will keep the brake dust out of the piston seals (dust not good for hydraulic seal)
A lot of people just push the pistons in and install the new pads (not good)
Most pistons I have seen were extremely dirty and hard to clean.
(Don't forget to check the fluid level)
Install the new pads, before installing the caliper clean the rotor to get dirt,finger prints, ect. off to keep it all clean.
On the first ride the brakes may not work as good as they did ?
They need to be bedded in correctly.
When bedded them in try not to hit the brake with over 10% pressure so you don't get them to hot, it will crystallize them and hurt the performance of them. Depending on your riding, may take 1 or 2 hundred miles to bed them in. Hope this may help someone!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks I didn’t know this in the past and then my calipers got all gunked up after a decade of use. I would put the bike on the stand and try to spin the wheel and that wheel would go maybe a turn and they stop spinning...Cleaning the pistons would have been such a simple fix.

I didn’t know it was brake dust all over the pistons and thought I was going to have to rebuild everything... I ended up just buying a pair of R6 calipers. They fixed the issue but only because they were clean...But now I found out that because I replaced the calipers that if I ever get to race that I can’t race supersport and that sucks because my engine isn’t beefed up like the other formula racers...

Anyhoo, about cleaning the pistons, you mentioned cleaning them with brake fluid. I’ve heard to do it with soapy water. Any difference? I still have my old calipers and am going to clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks I didn’t know this in the past and then my calipers got all gunked up after a decade of use. I would put the bike on the stand and try to spin the wheel and that wheel would go maybe a turn and they stop spinning...Cleaning the pistons would have been such a simple fix.

I didn’t know it was brake dust all over the pistons and thought I was going to have to rebuild everything... I ended up just buying a pair of R6 calipers. They fixed the issue but only because they were clean...But now I found out that because I replaced the calipers that if I ever get to race that I can’t race supersport and that sucks because my engine isn’t beefed up like the other formula racers...

Anyhoo, about cleaning the pistons, you mentioned cleaning them with brake fluid. I’ve heard to do it with soapy water. Any difference? I still have my old calipers and am going to clean them.

Completely take out the pistons clean and polish ( I use solvol autosol ), take out the dust seals, clean behind, red rubber grease put back in place.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Your welcome,
I used the correct brake fluid because it is compatible with the seals and should not hurt them, and is a pretty good cleaner. Then I spray with ether and blow off with a air hose, (don't blow too hard), then put a couple of drops of brake fluid at the base of the piston to lubricate the piston and push it back in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Completely take out the pistons clean and polish ( I use solvol autosol ), take out the dust seals, clean behind, red rubber grease put back in place.
You’d need to split the caliper apart to do this, correct?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're are just changing the pads and the brakes are working ok. (No.)
Pump the piston out just a little, you will see it is very clean inside, clean the dirty part and push them back in one at a time. That will help keep the dirt off of the clean part.
(This is a good way to keep them working good)!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
You’d need to split the caliper apart to do this, correct?

You can get the pistons out one by one, without splitting. The seals can be done the same way, awkward but can do. Also read other threads where people do this regularly as routine service like myself. The dust seals need to be removed cleaned and lubed to ensure smooth piston action.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the brake are working ok and just changing the pads. I have never remove the piston and cleaned the dust seal. I just clean the dirty part of the piston and lubricate it and push it back in. (This is not to fix the brakes, just to keep them working correctly)
If you clean the dust seal ever time you are changing your brake pads.
You must be very thorough.
I have never seen anyone else clean the piston when changing pads.I am trying to share my knowledge for the people that don't know.
Sorry I have not read any threads on this, I am new at this forum thing. I don't even know how to look them up. I don't want to sound counter dictive but that is how I have been doing it for a while. (To each his own way) happy stopping my friend.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If the brake are working ok and just changing the pads. I have never remove the piston and cleaned the dust seal. I just clean the dirty part of the piston and lubricate it and push it back in. (This is not to fix the brakes, just to keep them working correctly)
If you clean the dust seal ever time you are changing your brake pads.
You must be very thorough.
I have never seen anyone else clean the piston when changing pads.I am trying to share my knowledge for the people that don't know.
Sorry I have not read any threads on this, I am new at this forum thing. I don't even know how to look them up. I don't want to sound counter dictive but that is how I have been doing it for a while. (To each his own way) happy stopping my friend.
Talking about proper maintenance, not a fix ! The dirt and corrosion behind the dust seals wont help your new brake pads. Your giving advise but not prepared to learn, interesting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talking about proper maintenance, not a fix ! The dirt and corrosion behind the dust seals wont help your new brake pads. Your giving advise but not prepared to learn, interesting.
Sorry,
That is what I like to do when I change pads. I think if you take the dust seal out you should clean behind both seals and replace them with new ones.
Sorry trying to help!!!

·
That’s Mister Moderator Chalet To You ....
7,855 Posts
I'm just wondering why the new guy is posting random tips (of varying validity) about maintenance, riding skills etc.... over and over and over...

Trying to get your post count up?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sorry,
That is what I like to do when I change pads. I think if you take the dust seal out you should clean behind both seals and replace them with new ones.
Sorry trying to help!!!
Both seals ? seriously ? Why spend $$$$$$$ to replace seals. For the sake of light servicing\maintenance. I don`t think you should be giving out such advice.
Look through and do searches on the forum, there is a lot of good knowledge and advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts