Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

A serious question about tire wear

447 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  goodmatt78 
#1 ·
Tractionless's post got me wondering...

Does anyone have a true, scientific, accurate answer for why tires "blue"? And can this 'bluing', or lack thereof, actually be used to gauge a tire's condition?

#2 ·
The blueing on the tire after cool down is the oil/petroleum product in the chemical compounds coming to the surface, it's an indication that they are slowly losing their elasticity. Once they lose enough they become plastic and less pliable, thus less traction.

Blued tires.

Loss of traction

Me acting like I know something

#9 ·
The blueing on the tire after cool down is the oil/petroleum product in the chemical compounds coming to the surface, it's an indication that they are slowly losing their elasticity. Once they lose enough they become plastic and less pliable, thus less traction.

Blued tires.

Loss of traction

Me acting like I know something
This is a pretty good explaination

just remember "race" tires are not fully cured when they are removed from the tire press. That is one reason (another being compound) why then are more prone to this than "street" tires.

They are not fully cured because they are only designed for one heat cycle....thus, why it is possible and gives us better traction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.