Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a mixed post! I havn't got my bike license yet for various reasons. I was meant to do an intensive course last year on my holidays but it never went to plan. Did you do one of the intensive courses or was it something you did with your own bike slowly?

Do you girls find that the men in your life will try and talk you out of bikes? I am finding that, not that it will work but you know just wondered how other women find this sort of thing?

Also, bit of a run before you can walk Q, but I have concerns about riding a sportsbike as I am so leggy (36" inside leg). I have sized a Gixxer in showroom and it seemed a little bit cramped but not as bad as I thought it would be. I am not sure of how much you get adjustment wise and whether it wil be a problem out riding?. I have to have a Gixxer :biggrin

·
Dirty Doc Melissa
5,535 Posts
You said you didnt have a license, but do you have a permit? I definitely recommend doing a course. You learn on a smaller bike and its not yours. So you won't have to worry about messing up your bike. Why not do an MSF course? :dunno

I wouldn't say I have men in my life that try to talk me out of riding. Sure people in general just try to tell you how dangerous it is. I wouldn't stand for a guy telling me that I couldnt ride. :nono But I guess a big question is, are they trying to talk you out of riding all together, or are they maybe trying to talk you out of a bigger bike, or trying to steer you in the right direction as a newbie?

Why do you HAVE to have a gixxer? :dunnoIf the bike doesn't feel comfortable to you, then don't buy it. Have you sat on other bikes in the showroom? I think you really need to consider what feels best for you as your first bike, then just going with a name. Just go to the dealer and sit on all the bikes, sportbike or not. Find the one that feels best to you. If you arent comfortable on it just sitting in the showroom, then you wont be comfortable on it on the street. That distraction could cause a major problem for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i'm being talked out of getting any bike full stop. I just wondered how common this is... It's almost like girls shouldn't be riding bikes, round my circle of friends anyway.
Oh I don't know, it's just one of those things where I have a soft spot for them, just like anything else really. I have tried a few of the sportsbikes and they are all the same tbh. Not great for long legged people, but it's a case of putting up with it I guess. I know a couple of tall blokes who say it's a bit uncomfy after a while but not bad. They havn't had as long legs as me though, but nearly :-/ I was very comfy on a Hayabusa but there is no way i'd be able to handle a machine like that :lol Other types of bikes are probably better but not something I ultimately want to ride (I will to get more experience initially I guess and maybe for commutes etc but not for fun, you know)
I currently have a Suzuki moped just to get a feel of the roads etc but it's been in bits for a while so not really had much practice on it. I also hate the bloody thing! I had a bit of fun offroad on a DRZ400 which was pretty cool for getting used to gears etc. Actually the bike was really comfy. I just need to get round to getting my license, and I will when life decides to give me a break :chucks :burnout

·
Registered
323 Posts
Anyone that trys to talk you out of getting a bike / trys to dictate or control your life isn't a friend, the ones that try to show concern tho are your friends... It can be nasty out there, no joke about that...
If you HAVE to have Gix, you can always get new rearsets, but overall, it won't be a huge improvement. I have a 33" inseam and stock works for me, I have adjustable stock rearsets that can go 1 notch down... go with a set of gilles or vortex adjustables and you could be probably right on the $, just be ready to spend a healthy amount on the rearsets, they're good quality, but they'll set you back! Take yourself an MSF course. Don't let anyone talk you out of riding... if it's what you want to do! If you want some kevlar jeans, get some kevlar which can be ordered on the net (don't get the cheap stuff), go with the either dupont or 3m stuff, take it to a tailor and have them line your jeans where you need it. My wife is getting ready to start doing that as a side income job...PM me if you need any more advice/questions bout the jeans or anything for that matter...You sound like you have a Brit or Aussie style of text, you in the UK or in the states? where?! PM me!
Ciao¬

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice :) Yup i'm a Brit, very obvious? :lol
I hadn't considered customising jeans like that. I vaguely remember a few years ago a brand that did unfinished jeans in mens that did fit me but at the time I was just a pillion and they were too expensive to justify it. I will have a serious think about the customising.
I am trying not to get put off by the people trying to do just that. It's all negative safety stuff and it starts to make you worry after a while :-(

·
Wants 2 b one of the guys
432 Posts
+1 Deanm Well put

There is always going to be the sexist types, esp surrounding such a male dominated sport. Don't let that discourage you tho... the cool peeps will help you and give you props for pursuing your passion. And there are a TON of dudes that find chicks that ride super hot- so hang out with those types instead. :wink:

As far as the leg thing- I TOTALLY get that. My inseam is 37 1/2 LOL. I sat on a LOT of bikes, and rode quite a few before I chose mine. The R6's have a super tall seat height- in fact in 08 they were the tallest out of all of them, liters included- 33.5" I believe? I don't care for the 600RR's because I felt like my knees were up to my ears. Feel fortunate tho, most women have the complete opposite prob. And that stability you get from being able to flatfoot lends to a lot of confidence and frees you to be able to learn and focus on other skills.

Get the bike that feels good and that turns you on. You can put rear sets on it also, that are adjustable. (Most do this to raise them for increased lean angle clearance) but I found the opposite can really help and help your knees fit more nicely along the tank. Just like there are lowering options for shorter peeps, there are a few options for us tall chicas too. :cheers

You'll get used to it tho also, and it will feel more natural. Go take an MSF course. They provide invaluable skills you'll use for life and help them be more forefront in your thought process before you really have the seat time for them to become second nature.

Props and good luck!!!:punk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay another leggy bird! :cheers Yes I guess it's better to be able to reach the ground confidently than not! What trousers do you wear? I don't mind ordering from across the pond if I know they will be long enough...

·
Wants 2 b one of the guys
432 Posts
Yay another leggy bird! :cheers Yes I guess it's better to be able to reach the ground confidently than not! What trousers do you wear? I don't mind ordering from across the pond if I know they will be long enough...
Hahaha!! That was exactly what I thought- Sweet! Another tall sista!! I get all my jeans from The Buckle. BKE and Big Star make XXL inseams- 37 1/2!!! That's what I get, either 28 or 29 x 37 1/2. I love Meks too, but they only come in a 36" inseam at longest so they are more for sandals than boots. Go to http://www.thebuckle.com:punk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Never let anyone tell you not to follow a dream of riding or anything. I'm a woman & also fly aircraft...now there is a male domanted work place but they finally accepted me. I took the beginners course, advanced course than a race course...I wanted to be the best I could. Some of the niciest men I have met are on bikes, they are always willing to ride with & to give pointers. Go for it & ride safe.:punk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MotoPrincess, thanks for the details. I think I could get away with 37 but 36 would be better... my regular jeans are 37 but prob a bit long for riding gear. Us tall girls are going to take over the world you know :biggrin

Gixxher, Yeah I think sometimes it can be hard to prove yourself to blokes that you can do what they do. I think they worry about the possiblity of feeling inferior sometimes. I had a couple of flying lessons with a mate and although he was fine with me, I know the club was quite cliquey and very male orientated. Fair play to you :punk
When I joined the scuba diving club it was more relaxed, very male dominated aswell and the UK is not the nicest place to dive but I was pretty much a natural and they respected that straight away.
Not sure I can say the same about other things. I had a stab at ice climbing (i'm into hillwalking and wanted to progress) on a course in Sweden and failed miserably :lol I think I could have done a lot better if I trained beforehand but the men were stronger without needing to. That's fair enough, men are generally stronger and I like it that way :yumyum:lol

I am glad I am getting all this encouragement to ride. It is cancelling out all the negative stuff I have received over the months/years even!! Thanks :)

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
There's men with that much inseam riding sportbikes, and riding them damn fast. How tall are you?

The gixxer probably just feels really cramped because you're not used to it. I know mine feels really cramped after I come off my big motard. With legs that long, you'd have no problem on a motard, dirt bike, or adventure touring bike.

For the most part, motorcycle enthusiasts are very encouraging and willing to help the new riders, no matter who they are. I know some more squidly types that are very ego driven, and they have issues with a woman operating her own machine. Some of these guys were asking how I can handle my girlfriend being on her own bike and being free to do her own thing.

Never let anyone tell you not to follow a dream of riding or anything. I'm a woman & also fly aircraft...now there is a male domanted work place but they finally accepted me. I took the beginners course, advanced course than a race course...I wanted to be the best I could. Some of the niciest men I have met are on bikes, they are always willing to ride with & to give pointers. Go for it & ride safe.:punk
So as a female pilot, do you refer to the "cockpit" by some other name? :lol

·
Rump Ryder PermaSquid
363 Posts
Get the bike, do the coarse and have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
There's men with that much inseam riding sportbikes, and riding them damn fast. How tall are you?
Depending on which tape measure i'm either 6 foot or almost 6 foot 1. If other people manage with that leg length then i'm sure i'll be ok :)

The gixxer probably just feels really cramped because you're not used to it. I know mine feels really cramped after I come off my big motard. With legs that long, you'd have no problem on a motard, dirt bike, or adventure touring bike.
Yeah I tried a DRZ400 and it was great. I can even manage a BMW 1150RS without lowering the seat :biggrin

For the most part, motorcycle enthusiasts are very encouraging and willing to help the new riders, no matter who they are. I know some more squidly types that are very ego driven, and they have issues with a woman operating her own machine. Some of these guys were asking how I can handle my girlfriend being on her own bike and being free to do her own thing.
Family and friends who have been mangled by bike accidents are naturally concerned, but yes there are those types, I know the sort you mean :hammer

So as a female pilot, do you refer to the "cockpit" by some other name? :lol
:lol:lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went along to the local motorcycle test centre today. Had a chat with the guy there and I have decided I am going to do my CBT for my Birthday in a few weeks. :cheers

We had a chat about stuff that worried me (mostly issues around safety/people putting me off and the fact that everyone I know has had an accident of some sort, 2 of which were very serious and left riders in hospital and not riding ever again) and he made me feel a little better about it. He did point out that it is pretty dumb to be throwing a sportsbike about on a public road and no-one should ever be getting their knee down on a roundabout. All that should be left for track days. I think they are pretty safety conscious there and will help me stay safe. :)

He also thought it was pretty good going that I have ridden a DRZ400 as a first ride, at slow speed without either wheelieing it or crashing!! Hopefully if I can wangle another go, I will find the CBT easier on the 125's

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,178 Posts
If it's two female pilots... wouldn't it be a "box office??" :biggrin
:lmao

And on a lighter note...

I know tow people in their mid 20's who are dying to ride. One is my ex, she actually took the MSF course but couldn't afford a bike, and now she hasn't been on a bike in over a year and wants me to let her ride my k1 600. No chance. Another is an "acquaintance" who is just an idiot.

Both of these people are MASSIVELY irresponsible and I do everything in my power to talk them out of riding. If they rode like they drove, they would be killing machines.

So I recently thought about this topic because I think chicks on bikes are hot, but I wouldn't want a chick I'm dating to ride. Kinda like a stripper, nice too look at but wouldn't date one.

Anyway, I guess in the end, if someone wanted to do it, and they weren't completely irresponsible jackasses, I would nurture them. Seeing chicks on the racetrack who are definitely better riders than I am, I am easing on my view of this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think irresponsible riders are majorly skewing the accident stats out there which is what the blokey was sort of saying today.... it's the fools trying to ride a sportsbike like they were on a track or something. I don't think I will be like that but I have been coaxed into racing at traffic lights a couple of times in my youth. :nono I am 30 this year so I will either be really sensible or maybe end up reacting like it's a mid life crisis :lmao No seriously, I am pretty sensible when it comes to bikes fullstop. I admit I havn't always been the best driver ever but that has improved and I have to say as a pillion and on the scooter my concentration has been 100%. I have been interested in bikes for years with my uncle having them and taking me out as a kid and then my brothers getting them. I decided I wanted to try it myself about 2 years ago.

I don't see why you wouldn't date someone because of the type of vehicle they drive though :dunno

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,178 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't date someone because of the type of vehicle they drive though :dunno
Not about the type of vehicle they drive. I just know how dangerous riding is, and how much worse it is as a new rider, and I wouldn't want someone I'm attached to getting into something so dangerous. Shit, my little brother is 32 and if he isn't home by 10pm and is out on the bike I start panicking and calling him(we own a house together, 2 happy bachelors).

·
Dirty Doc Melissa
5,535 Posts
Not about the type of vehicle they drive. I just know how dangerous riding is, and how much worse it is as a new rider, and I wouldn't want someone I'm attached to getting into something so dangerous. Shit, my little brother is 32 and if he isn't home by 10pm and is out on the bike I start panicking and calling him(we own a house together, 2 happy bachelors).
Awww, come on man, you gotta get out of the whole "wouldn't want my girl riding". Why wouldnt you wanna share something you love with the girl you are with? :dunno I used to not date guys at all that rode, just didn't want to be "that girl" with the group I rode with. Still don't for the most part, but there have been a few guys I've dated that rode, and it was just awesome. They understand your love for the bike and its very easy to relate to them when it comes to the bikes. I dont know I just enjoy sharing my fun with someone that understands it I guess. :punk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts