Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want your opinion about getting an old 600 superbike, like '93 to '95

I have in mind getting the Suv650, it is expensive, that's why i want to know if an used 600 superbike is a good option, like a '93 CBR

Another Question, what's the difference between the gixxer 600 and Sv650? both have 600cc

[ 01-25-2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Gingseng ]

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I applaud you for wanting to by a used bike as your first.You sound like your very logical in your reasoning.You'll save money,and it will be cheaper then insuring a new bike too.The difference's between a SV 650 and a GSXR 600 are signifigant.The SV is a v-twin(2cylinders),the GSXR is an inline 4 (4 cylinders).The GSXR is a race-replica,lighter,has a shorter wheelbase,is more powerful,handles better,and is more expensive.It is for experienced riders also,and is capable of 160mph speeds.The SV is a PERFECT beginners bike and you will not be dissapointed if you aquire it.Good luck

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm going on my third season riding and I started the same way. Rode a bandit 600 for about 6,000 miles and then traded up to a monster, gsxr750 '02. I thought i had learned so much on the bandit, but the 750 still took a while to get used, and i'm still learning.
The one thing i regret about the bandit is that i outgrew it, or atleast wanted the sport bike that everyone else had. Looking at the sv650, I think i would have gotten a few more years out of it. In fact, I am thinking of getting a used on to goof around on, but that's another story.
On the other hand, buying a used bike does save a lot of money and heart ache, b/c you WILL drop it. I'm a big guy and i dropped my bandit 3-4 days after i brought it home. It will be something stupid like taking it off the center stand or going around a slow turn, but you will, trust me. On a new bike you just spend a lot of you hard earned money on, it will break your heart. It still sucks when you do it to a used bike, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus when you graduate to a gsxr, you won't take a bath selling it.
Whatever you do, make sure you get some good gear with it. And leather is better, i found out the hard way. Hope this helps and you save yourself from some of my mistakes, you padewon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, that's why i'm asking what's better? an old & used 600 or a new sv650s? the old 600 bike can be bouth like $3k aprox, and the new sv650s(nobody have it around here) is about 7k~ at the dealer, with the old 600 I can buy ALL the gear I want to, but with the sv650s i have to wait a little bit to buy all of the gears.

I've read that the Sv650s can do 0-60mph in 3 secs.... that's still powerful, but how come it top speed is 128mph? not that it matters to me, just wondering, and Sv650s are capable of kneedragging? and stable to on the streets?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Originally posted by sheehyjo:
Whatever you do, make sure you get some good gear with it. And leather is better, i found out the hard way.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What makes you say that leather is better? I have heard the same thing, but I'd like to know a little more about your experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve Strange:

It's not that I intend to kneedrag in a month or so, It's just a longterm vision.

I've been thinking that, if I buy the Sv650s, and in the future... let's say like 2 years, I'll be able to kneedrag with the Sv650s and put the bike for track days and then move on to 600cc.

I have no problem in waiting, Like some guys, who started at a young age and have low cc bikes to learn & ride and get the most while waiting the day to buy a 600cc+ superbike themselves. But now people are old enough and have the cash to buy the most powerful bikes otd and forgets the learning curve that most pros had been throught

I just want to visualize myself in 2 years, kicking all the guys with 600superbikes with a Sv650

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
You can drag your knee with a Ninja 250 if your good enough.The SV 650 is a very capable track bike in the hands of a rider skilled enough to take advantage of all it has to offer.After hearing your situation,I personally would buy the older 600 and outfit myself with all the appropriate riding apparell.Take the money that you saved and spend it on a Motorcycle safety course and a few track days so you know how to handle that new bike of yours.Oldgixxer is now heading for a nice cold Corona....

·
Registered
622 Posts
[/qb][/QUOTE] What did bother me was the fact that the armor was kept in place by a zipper. The zipper teeth ripped a few layers of skin of the majority of the bottom of my forearm. The zipper itself actually punctured my forearm and took quite a bit of flesh with it.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

ah..zippers..good point...thanks.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Originally posted by Gingseng:
It's not that I intend to kneedrag in a month or so, It's just a longterm vision.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DON'T put pressure on yourself to drag a knee. If you're trying really hard to do it, and just reaching your leg out as far as possible, your balance will be off. This makes you unstable, which in turn makes you SLOWER and more likely to BAIL. Not the way to do it. Besides...what's the point of dragging a knee if you're getting passed by someone who isn't?

Your long-term vision should focus on balance, smooth shifting, and ability to push your bike to its limits (on a track of course). If you focus on HAULING ASS, your knee will touch down all by itself eventually. It's a natural progression.

Keep the emphasis on your form, speed and stability. Your knee will naturally touch the ground once you reach a certain level of riding ability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brolo: I think you said what i really wanted to say, sorry if my english isnt good. well the point of all this is, I wanna learn slowly without pressure

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Well then, glad that's cleared up.

re: older 600 or new SV, I'd definitely get the older 600. It'll save you money which could be spent on gear instead, plus it's never wise to buy something new as a first bike. You'll have a lot to learn...plus you'll feel extra terrible if/when you drop a brand new bike.

If you're thinking of a 600ccbike around '94-'95, I'd recommend a Honda F3. But really, you shouldn't limit your choices at this point. There are plenty of great potential bikes out there.

[ 01-25-2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Brolo ]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well,... I was just choosing the less powerful 600 out there, but browsing for some time, i've found that most people mention that Sv650s and CBR '93 are good beginner bikes

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally posted by shubrick:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by sheehyjo:
Whatever you do, make sure you get some good gear with it. And leather is better, i found out the hard way.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What makes you say that leather is better? I have heard the same thing, but I'd like to know a little more about your experience.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, i would have elaborated, but i thought the post was getting too long. I went down with a JR Atomic jacket last year. The fabric ripped a little bit, which didn't worry me, after all, it is cloth and when it rubbs on asphalt for 30-40 feet, it ripps. What did bother me was the fact that the armor was kept in place by a zipper. The zipper teeth ripped a few layers of skin of the majority of the bottom of my forearm. The zipper itself actually punctured my forearm and took quite a bit of flesh with it.
After that, I got a JR Speedmaster which has better armor which is held in place by velcro. Maybe that is not enough of a reason, but I just feel a bit safer with the leather jacket on, the weight of it makes you feel like it could take more of beating than cloth. Believe me, the extra $100-200 is worth the skin you'll save.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
yeah, that's why i'm asking what's better? an old & used 600 or a new sv650s? the old 600 bike can be bouth like $3k aprox, and the new sv650s(nobody have it around here) is about 7k~ at the dealer, with the old 600 I can buy ALL the gear I want to, but with the sv650s i have to wait a little bit to buy all of the gears.

I've read that the Sv650s can do 0-60mph in 3 secs.... that's still powerful, but how come it top speed is 128mph? not that it matters to me, just wondering, and Sv650s are capable of kneedragging? and stable to on the streets?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Your first bike ? and you're already talking about kneedragging ??? better slow down there boy...All versions of the GSXR whether they are new or old are basically road legal race bikes and you've gotta treat them with respect. It seems you're limiting your choice down to 2 bikes, have a real good look around and try some different models out. If anyone asks me I always recommend the Honda Hornet 600 as a 1st bike. This bike is easy to handle, stabile and has smooth power delivery. Also does mind being leant over and is fast. Through twisting roads it can keep up with most bikes.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I was just choosing the less powerful 600 out there...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you want the 'less powerful' 600, you might want to do a little research re: horsepower output of these bikes (various older 600's, Gixxer 600's and SV's).
I won't give away the results, but you might be surprised.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts