Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Also: the yosh bodywork from airtech requires a different upper fairing stay. They sell it but it’s like 230 ish US dollars. I wasn’t stoked on that and came up with this instead.
F20070C6-DD00-4447-9D61-76BF363BFE92.jpeg
8EE601D0-B859-4B50-899C-F4648290812F.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, great progress! How did you modify the tank to accept the new endurance cap? Your paint job looks great man! How many hours do you have in the body? Curious as I'm contemplating doing mine. What did you use to bend up the fairing stay? I just bought a welder so I'm going to be fabbing new stuff next season. Bike is going to look great when you're done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wow, great progress! How did you modify the tank to accept the new endurance cap? Your paint job looks great man! How many hours do you have in the body? Curious as I'm contemplating doing mine. What did you use to bend up the fairing stay? I just bought a welder so I'm going to be fabbing new stuff next season. Bike is going to look great when you're done.
Thanks Builder, the cap has a ring that goes inside the tank with threaded holes and the tank is sandwiched between the ring and the cap you see. So I just used the ring as a template to trace out what I needed to cut and also the drill the screw holes. Pretty simple tbh. Then just used a cut off wheel to cut the shape out of the tank. (The original tank has a metal drain tube that drains fuel from the original cap area, I cut that inside the tank and crimped it with pliers, I’m also going to cap the bung on the underside of the tank to be sure no fuel can escape)
I probably have about 16hrs into bodywork. There were 2 small dents in the tank and then the typical bodywork that needs to be done on the new stuff from airtech.
I made the fairing stay from 5/16 inch steel rod. The part that mounts the stay to the frame is made from some 3/16 steel plate I had laying around and the 2 pieces at the top where the mirror mounts would normally be that is also 3/16 but I made it to match the contour of the fairing to give it more stability (a cardboard cut out of the shape that fits the fairing then cut the metal to that shape and added a slight bend to it and it fit good) Mounted it all up and got it close to where it needed to be , and then bent and massaged the “wings” to get it all positioned correctly. Removed it and added some bracing from the rod and it worked out well. I was worried it would be a little to flimsy but once everything is bolted down including the side fairings it braces the upper really well and weighs a lot less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I was finally able to mount the gas tank today. Shouldn’t have been that difficult but I had a starting issue with the bike. I assumed it was from a kink in the fuel line. Ended up messing around with that for a couple hours and finally in the end figured out it was something else. So gas tank mounted. The tail section is also mounted . I forgot to take pics but I made an aluminum support for the seat area and also had to mount the crankcase breather and catch can in the tail. All really easy and simple to do but like I said I forgot to get pics of it and don’t want to remove the tail unnecessarily for fear of scratching. So this is where I’m at, waiting on the finishing touches to the tach bracket so I can finish wiring that and then the front fairings will go on.
801311B4-EC04-4754-9522-D113F88DFF76.jpeg
868CDF6C-9353-439D-B6B8-B595E5B5789E.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That paint scheme is pretty baller man. What direction did you end up going for a shock?
Thanks! I ended up using the bmw rear shock. I forget the years that work but I believe it’s the 2012 s1000r shock. It’s a direct swap. Fits perfect. I didn’t have to modify anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love that paint scheme! I can say I've never seen scheme like that. Are you doing any track days this year? I signed up for a few with Tony's and Fishtail - just need to finish my bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah Builder I’m doing track days this year. I am waiting for the parts to respring my forks Once that’s done I will be signing up for the next track day at NYST. I looked into the fishtail track days last year, how are those?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts