Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm envious of that Hindle exhaust. I wish they made one for my bike. What brand is the rear sprocket? Coming along nicely!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm envious of that Hindle exhaust. I wish they made one for my bike. What brand is the rear sprocket? Coming along nicely!
Thanks Builder, Yeah the Hindle is nice. I still want that new in box yoshimura but who knows when that unicorn is going to be around. The rear sprocket is vortex

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
welcome. you are doing nice work on the sling-shot. i just returned to mx about a year ago, after a 24 year absence, and was thoroughly enjoying myself riding at the local mx tracks...until i broke my humerus. oh well, healing at the moment.

i'm also into these oil-cooled gsxr's and ride my first gens at the local tracks. loads-o-fun in a similar but different manner than mx. interested in your build and post any questions you may have. good group around here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
welcome. you are doing nice work on the sling-shot. i just returned to mx about a year ago, after a 24 year absence, and was thoroughly enjoying myself riding at the local mx tracks...until i broke my humerus. oh well, healing at the moment.

i'm also into these oil-cooled gsxr's and ride my first gens at the local tracks. loads-o-fun in a similar but different manner than mx. interested in your build and post any questions you may have. good group around here.
Thanks , and sorry to hear about the broken humerus. For me the mx injuries weren’t bad for a long time then I went through 2 seasons where I was getting hurt , rehabbing, then getting hurt again right away. But when things are clicking it’s unlike anything else.
On a side note I was able to fire up the slingshot today for the first time. Run really good right from the start on the bench. Going to try and post a video later!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
While waiting for some parts I decided to experiment with air filter set ups. I wanted to run k&n pods but I did find a couple of old pics with bikes using velocity stacks and pod filters or even found one with a velocity stack and a foam filter cover similar to the ram product out there today. I know I can easily buy k&n and put them on and try them out later on. But I liked the looks of the velocity stack/ foam filter cover..... at the same time I can also see the benefit of such a combo for racing over just the pods. BUT my thoughts really don’t mean sh#t because I’m not an engineer and have no real educated clue as to what works for racing but in my opinion I think it makes sense that it could possibly be a better set up over just pods. But who knows. So I went ahead and made a velocity stack today, I will make 3 more this weekend and start the year using these. 1st track day I will switch out with pods and see what the actual seat of the pant difference is if any.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
nice work man. Not trying to shit in your cereal but before you go farther you might want to refine your design. If you are going for a velocity stack you need a bell shape and round edge to get the full effect of the venturi, then you can use different lengths to tune for pulse. Not a huge gain to be had but gains is gains if you're racing.

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 1.39.14 PM.png

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
nice work man. Not trying to shit in your cereal but before you go farther you might want to refine your design. If you are going for a velocity stack you need a bell shape and round edge to get the full effect of the venturi, then you can use different lengths to tune for pulse. Not a huge gain to be had but gains is gains if you're racing.

Thanks for the chart!!!! I think there may be a design change. I just gotta think about how I am going to do it

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like you have a compound so you can get the 7 degree angle. Then you just need a radius profile cutter. The radius on the lip is the most important part, or having a parabolic curve to act like one.

Ive wanted to try this technique as well. but watching that dude polish the inside with gloves made me cringe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looks like you have a compound so you can get the 7 degree angle. Then you just need a radius profile cutter. The radius on the lip is the most important part, or having a parabolic curve to act like one.

I can get the 7 degree angle , I don’t have a tool to get me the radius on the lip (but I am going to stop at a friends machine shop to see what he’s got) but worse case scenario I think I can make a bunch of straight cuts at increasing or decreasing angles to make the lip radius. There will be small flats that I can then file and sand out on the lathe by hand. I’m confident I can get it good but it would be much easier with the right tool. Either way I am going to give it a go on one Saturday. So I will post what I come up with.

·
Registered
163 Posts
shouldn't be too hard to grind a tool blank into a radius. if you undercut it you can use it on the ID as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Well this is what I came up with today. I ended up using #8 for the design. Basically 1 1/2 inches of 7 degrees on the inside and the 1/4 inch radius on the end. In the end it wasn’t too bad to make but did take me longer figuring out what tool to use for the various cuts, (keep in mind all the tools that I bought and collected years ago for the lathe are now pretty much junk. So the tool I want is usually wasted so I’m forced to use a different cutter which is soooo frustrating. Anyways I still have to do a couple finishing cuts just to clean things up but the part is finished and you get the idea of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
86 Posts

View attachment 575163
Thanks, for that info. Wonder if anyone has done a comparison between factory air box with factory filter, factory air box with high flow filter, dual pods and 4 pods, then with velocity stacks of best design. On a dyno?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
86blackred1100.... I don’t know the exact year but I think it’s 92. It’s a bolt on for slingshots but you do need to use the sprocket carrier for that year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
A little update on the bike progress. Mechanically the bike has pretty much been at a standstill. I received the yosh F1 bodywork from airtech so my time has been spent fitting those and doing bodywork. After that I spent a lot of time painting the bike (and also a newer 600 I have). I decided to go with the blue/white team classic Suzuki paint scheme. It’s now finished and cleared and hopefully I can have it mounted in the next week or two. I am making an aluminum seat support and waiting on a tach bracket to be finished. Then I will be able to mount up the bodywork. Here is a sneak peak
C93550AD-FC8B-46F7-94E7-4448319B9C8A.jpeg

21 - 40 of 58 Posts